Dec 16, 2009, 11:30 PM EDT
Not satisfied with adding Mike Gonzalez on the day, the Orioles have also reached an agreement with free agent Garrett Atkins on a one-year deal.
Atkins to Baltimore seemed like a pretty obvious call from the moment the 30-year-old was non-tendered by the Rockies. The Orioles wanted a one-year stopgap at third base before they turn the position over to prospect Josh Bell in 2011, and Atkins wanted a one-year deal with a team that would give him a chance to rebuild his value, preferably one that plays in a ballpark built for hitters.
Atkins will have some adjustments to make after spending his entire career in the NL, but he should be able to give the Orioles a .280 average and 15-20 homers. His OPS has dropped from 965 to 853 to 780 to 650 over the last three years, but it was 2006 and 2009 that were the aberrations. He’s never been one to strike out a bunch, and he’s typically hit for decent power, if not always for average, outside of Coors Field.
Most likely, he’ll be one and done in Baltimore, but the price should be right (I’m guessing $4 million-$5 million) and he might bring back a draft pick when he leaves.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 4
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 237
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (237)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)