Dec 16, 2009, 11:30 PM EDT
Not satisfied with adding Mike Gonzalez on the day, the Orioles have also reached an agreement with free agent Garrett Atkins on a one-year deal.
Atkins to Baltimore seemed like a pretty obvious call from the moment the 30-year-old was non-tendered by the Rockies. The Orioles wanted a one-year stopgap at third base before they turn the position over to prospect Josh Bell in 2011, and Atkins wanted a one-year deal with a team that would give him a chance to rebuild his value, preferably one that plays in a ballpark built for hitters.
Atkins will have some adjustments to make after spending his entire career in the NL, but he should be able to give the Orioles a .280 average and 15-20 homers. His OPS has dropped from 965 to 853 to 780 to 650 over the last three years, but it was 2006 and 2009 that were the aberrations. He’s never been one to strike out a bunch, and he’s typically hit for decent power, if not always for average, outside of Coors Field.
Most likely, he’ll be one and done in Baltimore, but the price should be right (I’m guessing $4 million-$5 million) and he might bring back a draft pick when he leaves.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)