Dec 16, 2009, 11:30 PM EDT
Not satisfied with adding Mike Gonzalez on the day, the Orioles have also reached an agreement with free agent Garrett Atkins on a one-year deal.
Atkins to Baltimore seemed like a pretty obvious call from the moment the 30-year-old was non-tendered by the Rockies. The Orioles wanted a one-year stopgap at third base before they turn the position over to prospect Josh Bell in 2011, and Atkins wanted a one-year deal with a team that would give him a chance to rebuild his value, preferably one that plays in a ballpark built for hitters.
Atkins will have some adjustments to make after spending his entire career in the NL, but he should be able to give the Orioles a .280 average and 15-20 homers. His OPS has dropped from 965 to 853 to 780 to 650 over the last three years, but it was 2006 and 2009 that were the aberrations. He’s never been one to strike out a bunch, and he’s typically hit for decent power, if not always for average, outside of Coors Field.
Most likely, he’ll be one and done in Baltimore, but the price should be right (I’m guessing $4 million-$5 million) and he might bring back a draft pick when he leaves.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)