Dec 16, 2009, 11:30 PM EDT
Not satisfied with adding Mike Gonzalez on the day, the Orioles have also reached an agreement with free agent Garrett Atkins on a one-year deal.
Atkins to Baltimore seemed like a pretty obvious call from the moment the 30-year-old was non-tendered by the Rockies. The Orioles wanted a one-year stopgap at third base before they turn the position over to prospect Josh Bell in 2011, and Atkins wanted a one-year deal with a team that would give him a chance to rebuild his value, preferably one that plays in a ballpark built for hitters.
Atkins will have some adjustments to make after spending his entire career in the NL, but he should be able to give the Orioles a .280 average and 15-20 homers. His OPS has dropped from 965 to 853 to 780 to 650 over the last three years, but it was 2006 and 2009 that were the aberrations. He’s never been one to strike out a bunch, and he’s typically hit for decent power, if not always for average, outside of Coors Field.
Most likely, he’ll be one and done in Baltimore, but the price should be right (I’m guessing $4 million-$5 million) and he might bring back a draft pick when he leaves.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)