Dec 16, 2009, 9:43 PM EDT
The Orioles and Mike Gonzalez are close to an agreement on a two-year, $12 million contract that could be worth $8 million per year through incentives, according to Yahoo! Sports’ Tim Brown.
The move would seem to bring an end to Baltimore’s search for a closer and eliminate the team as a suitor for Jose Valverde, who could be left out in the cold this winter. It’s not beyond the realm of possibility that the Orioles could add another possible ninth-inning guy — after all, Gonzalez will be making the same amount as Danys Baez did when Baltimore signed him to a three-year, $18 million contract to serve as a setup man — but the club should be satisfied with the setup work that Jim Johnson and Koji Uehara will provide.
The deal qualifies as more bad news for the Braves, who were hoping to get two first-round picks and two sandwich picks after offering arbitration to Rafael Soriano and Gonzalez. Soriano, of course, accepted the arbitration offer and was traded for a mediocre reliever in Jesse Chavez. Now Gonzalez is signing with a team with a protected first-round pick, meaning the Braves will have to settle for a second-rounder in addition to their supplemental first-round pick. Atlanta will be without a true first-round pick after giving up its own to land Billy Wagner.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 37
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)