Dec 16, 2009, 9:43 PM EDT
The Orioles and Mike Gonzalez are close to an agreement on a two-year, $12 million contract that could be worth $8 million per year through incentives, according to Yahoo! Sports’ Tim Brown.
The move would seem to bring an end to Baltimore’s search for a closer and eliminate the team as a suitor for Jose Valverde, who could be left out in the cold this winter. It’s not beyond the realm of possibility that the Orioles could add another possible ninth-inning guy — after all, Gonzalez will be making the same amount as Danys Baez did when Baltimore signed him to a three-year, $18 million contract to serve as a setup man — but the club should be satisfied with the setup work that Jim Johnson and Koji Uehara will provide.
The deal qualifies as more bad news for the Braves, who were hoping to get two first-round picks and two sandwich picks after offering arbitration to Rafael Soriano and Gonzalez. Soriano, of course, accepted the arbitration offer and was traded for a mediocre reliever in Jesse Chavez. Now Gonzalez is signing with a team with a protected first-round pick, meaning the Braves will have to settle for a second-rounder in addition to their supplemental first-round pick. Atlanta will be without a true first-round pick after giving up its own to land Billy Wagner.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)