Dec 16, 2009, 3:01 PM EDT
UPDATE: All of that business about the flunked physicals from a couple of hours ago is totally bogus. Everyone is fine, Selig still has to sign off on the $6 million going to Philly, but the deal is done and the Phillies and Mariners are going to have press conferences announcing the deals later this afternoon.
Just another day in the blogosphere.
12:55 P.M. Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun just tweeted that someone involved in the blockbuster trade between the Jays, Phillies and Mariners flunked their physical.
This sounds rather dramatic — a flunked physical can derail a deal — but it may not be a big problem. Generally speaking, teams have the ability to waive physicals as conditions to deals, and often do. Not when they find that a guy is missing his coccyx or something, but for minor things.
To my knowledge, none of the guys involved in this deal had anything major on the radar, so this could be nothing. We’ll obviously update you if something develops.
UPDATE: It wasn’t Lee or Halladay. It was one of the minor leaguers.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect