Dec 16, 2009, 3:01 PM EDT
UPDATE: All of that business about the flunked physicals from a couple of hours ago is totally bogus. Everyone is fine, Selig still has to sign off on the $6 million going to Philly, but the deal is done and the Phillies and Mariners are going to have press conferences announcing the deals later this afternoon.
Just another day in the blogosphere.
12:55 P.M. Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun just tweeted that someone involved in the blockbuster trade between the Jays, Phillies and Mariners flunked their physical.
This sounds rather dramatic — a flunked physical can derail a deal — but it may not be a big problem. Generally speaking, teams have the ability to waive physicals as conditions to deals, and often do. Not when they find that a guy is missing his coccyx or something, but for minor things.
To my knowledge, none of the guys involved in this deal had anything major on the radar, so this could be nothing. We’ll obviously update you if something develops.
UPDATE: It wasn’t Lee or Halladay. It was one of the minor leaguers.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)