Dec 16, 2009, 3:01 PM EDT
UPDATE: All of that business about the flunked physicals from a couple of hours ago is totally bogus. Everyone is fine, Selig still has to sign off on the $6 million going to Philly, but the deal is done and the Phillies and Mariners are going to have press conferences announcing the deals later this afternoon.
Just another day in the blogosphere.
12:55 P.M. Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun just tweeted that someone involved in the blockbuster trade between the Jays, Phillies and Mariners flunked their physical.
This sounds rather dramatic — a flunked physical can derail a deal — but it may not be a big problem. Generally speaking, teams have the ability to waive physicals as conditions to deals, and often do. Not when they find that a guy is missing his coccyx or something, but for minor things.
To my knowledge, none of the guys involved in this deal had anything major on the radar, so this could be nothing. We’ll obviously update you if something develops.
UPDATE: It wasn’t Lee or Halladay. It was one of the minor leaguers.
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 0
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 108
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 65
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)