Dec 16, 2009, 3:01 PM EDT
UPDATE: All of that business about the flunked physicals from a couple of hours ago is totally bogus. Everyone is fine, Selig still has to sign off on the $6 million going to Philly, but the deal is done and the Phillies and Mariners are going to have press conferences announcing the deals later this afternoon.
Just another day in the blogosphere.
12:55 P.M. Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun just tweeted that someone involved in the blockbuster trade between the Jays, Phillies and Mariners flunked their physical.
This sounds rather dramatic — a flunked physical can derail a deal — but it may not be a big problem. Generally speaking, teams have the ability to waive physicals as conditions to deals, and often do. Not when they find that a guy is missing his coccyx or something, but for minor things.
To my knowledge, none of the guys involved in this deal had anything major on the radar, so this could be nothing. We’ll obviously update you if something develops.
UPDATE: It wasn’t Lee or Halladay. It was one of the minor leaguers.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 7
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 11
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 10
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)