Dec 16, 2009, 3:01 PM EST
UPDATE: All of that business about the flunked physicals from a couple of hours ago is totally bogus. Everyone is fine, Selig still has to sign off on the $6 million going to Philly, but the deal is done and the Phillies and Mariners are going to have press conferences announcing the deals later this afternoon.
Just another day in the blogosphere.
12:55 P.M. Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun just tweeted that someone involved in the blockbuster trade between the Jays, Phillies and Mariners flunked their physical.
This sounds rather dramatic — a flunked physical can derail a deal — but it may not be a big problem. Generally speaking, teams have the ability to waive physicals as conditions to deals, and often do. Not when they find that a guy is missing his coccyx or something, but for minor things.
To my knowledge, none of the guys involved in this deal had anything major on the radar, so this could be nothing. We’ll obviously update you if something develops.
UPDATE: It wasn’t Lee or Halladay. It was one of the minor leaguers.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 18
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)