Dec 16, 2009, 3:40 PM EST
There has been speculation that the Red Sox’ signing of John Lackey was just as much about providing a hedge against the departure of Josh Beckett after next season as it was about winning next season. That’s not so according to Theo Epstein, who said this at the John Lackey press conference:
“I sent Josh a text message as we were finalizing John Lackey’s deal. I just told him, ‘Some might speculate this might mean
the end for you in Boston.’ I said ‘Don’t listen to them. You’re a huge
part of what we have going on here. We love it if it worked out if
you’re a huge part of our future, as well. The most important thing is
that we have one heck of a pitching staff right now.’ He texted back.
He was very excited about the sign[ing] . . . I don’t think it impacts Josh nearly to the degree
people are speculating.”
It’s cute that Theo thinks he’s sending text messages when he’s really sending emails on his Blackberry. I mean, really, does anyone send a text message as long as that?
OK, that aside, the Lackey signing doesn’t seem to be going down perfectly with
everyone in Red Sox Nation, but he will be much easier to take as an addition to Beckett in the rotation than he would as a replacement. Obviously things could change — Beckett could blow his elbow out next year or demand $20 million a pop — but if Theo is open to the idea of keeping Beckett, Sox fans will be much happier.
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 26
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 149
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 15
- Rockies trade Dexter Fowler to Astros for Jordan Lyles 24
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (150)
- My imaginary Hall of Fame ballot (89)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (74)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (73)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)