Dec 16, 2009, 3:40 PM EDT
There has been speculation that the Red Sox’ signing of John Lackey was just as much about providing a hedge against the departure of Josh Beckett after next season as it was about winning next season. That’s not so according to Theo Epstein, who said this at the John Lackey press conference:
“I sent Josh a text message as we were finalizing John Lackey’s deal. I just told him, ‘Some might speculate this might mean
the end for you in Boston.’ I said ‘Don’t listen to them. You’re a huge
part of what we have going on here. We love it if it worked out if
you’re a huge part of our future, as well. The most important thing is
that we have one heck of a pitching staff right now.’ He texted back.
He was very excited about the sign[ing] . . . I don’t think it impacts Josh nearly to the degree
people are speculating.”
It’s cute that Theo thinks he’s sending text messages when he’s really sending emails on his Blackberry. I mean, really, does anyone send a text message as long as that?
OK, that aside, the Lackey signing doesn’t seem to be going down perfectly with
everyone in Red Sox Nation, but he will be much easier to take as an addition to Beckett in the rotation than he would as a replacement. Obviously things could change — Beckett could blow his elbow out next year or demand $20 million a pop — but if Theo is open to the idea of keeping Beckett, Sox fans will be much happier.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (117)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?