Dec 16, 2009, 12:23 PM EDT
The Blue Jays may have lost Roy Halladay, but at least they found someone with a better name to fill the roster slot: Lance Broadway! Oh wait. It’s a minor league deal, so it doesn’t even fill the roster slot. Still a cool name, though! Even if he’s a really poor pitcher who was just non-tendered by the Mets. The pitching-barren New York Mets.
In other Blue Jays news, Toronto has finalized the deal with catcher John Buck. It’s for one year and $2 million. This gives Toronto a plethora of catchers, given that they already have Ramon Castro and Raul Chavez in the fold. Could have been worse, I suppose. They could have given Kendall or Pudge a couple of years.
And in all seriousness, between the three of those guys, there’s some fairly decent bang for the buck. Assembling spare parts on the relative cheap and for limited duration like that is a good move for a team in the Blue Jays’ position. Good for them for doing right here, even if hardly anyone will really notice it.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)