Dec 16, 2009, 12:23 PM EDT
The Blue Jays may have lost Roy Halladay, but at least they found someone with a better name to fill the roster slot: Lance Broadway! Oh wait. It’s a minor league deal, so it doesn’t even fill the roster slot. Still a cool name, though! Even if he’s a really poor pitcher who was just non-tendered by the Mets. The pitching-barren New York Mets.
In other Blue Jays news, Toronto has finalized the deal with catcher John Buck. It’s for one year and $2 million. This gives Toronto a plethora of catchers, given that they already have Ramon Castro and Raul Chavez in the fold. Could have been worse, I suppose. They could have given Kendall or Pudge a couple of years.
And in all seriousness, between the three of those guys, there’s some fairly decent bang for the buck. Assembling spare parts on the relative cheap and for limited duration like that is a good move for a team in the Blue Jays’ position. Good for them for doing right here, even if hardly anyone will really notice it.
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 11
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 35
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 41
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 185
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (185)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)