Dec 16, 2009, 12:23 PM EDT
The Blue Jays may have lost Roy Halladay, but at least they found someone with a better name to fill the roster slot: Lance Broadway! Oh wait. It’s a minor league deal, so it doesn’t even fill the roster slot. Still a cool name, though! Even if he’s a really poor pitcher who was just non-tendered by the Mets. The pitching-barren New York Mets.
In other Blue Jays news, Toronto has finalized the deal with catcher John Buck. It’s for one year and $2 million. This gives Toronto a plethora of catchers, given that they already have Ramon Castro and Raul Chavez in the fold. Could have been worse, I suppose. They could have given Kendall or Pudge a couple of years.
And in all seriousness, between the three of those guys, there’s some fairly decent bang for the buck. Assembling spare parts on the relative cheap and for limited duration like that is a good move for a team in the Blue Jays’ position. Good for them for doing right here, even if hardly anyone will really notice it.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 15
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 14
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54