Dec 16, 2009, 12:23 PM EST
The Blue Jays may have lost Roy Halladay, but at least they found someone with a better name to fill the roster slot: Lance Broadway! Oh wait. It’s a minor league deal, so it doesn’t even fill the roster slot. Still a cool name, though! Even if he’s a really poor pitcher who was just non-tendered by the Mets. The pitching-barren New York Mets.
In other Blue Jays news, Toronto has finalized the deal with catcher John Buck. It’s for one year and $2 million. This gives Toronto a plethora of catchers, given that they already have Ramon Castro and Raul Chavez in the fold. Could have been worse, I suppose. They could have given Kendall or Pudge a couple of years.
And in all seriousness, between the three of those guys, there’s some fairly decent bang for the buck. Assembling spare parts on the relative cheap and for limited duration like that is a good move for a team in the Blue Jays’ position. Good for them for doing right here, even if hardly anyone will really notice it.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)