Dec 17, 2009, 9:00 AM EST
Less than two days after Aroldis Chapman’s workout, the good feelings about the guy are starting to spread.
After some piecemeal impressions on Tuesday, Jorge Arangure wrote an extended piece on Chapman’s workout yesterday. The key takeaways: contrary to some rumors about his post-defection partying floating around — I hear Andorra is NUTS, babies — Chapman appeared to be in great shape, having added some muscle and looking way less wiry and fragile than he did in the WBC earlier this year. Also, his mechanics looked tighter, which suggests that his control may not be as bad as some people have worried. Finally, the concerns about the kid’s makeup seemed overblown. Arangure quotes an executive who spoke with Chapman: “He’s not a bad guy. He’s not an intellectual, but he’s certainly not dumb.” I guess that’s praise.
The upshot of all of this is that Chapman may be a hotter property than many suspected a week ago. Indeed, Baseball Prospectus’ Kevin Goldstein tweets that insiders are predicting that he could get $30 million.
Gentlemen, start your bidding.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)