Dec 17, 2009, 9:00 AM EDT
Less than two days after Aroldis Chapman’s workout, the good feelings about the guy are starting to spread.
After some piecemeal impressions on Tuesday, Jorge Arangure wrote an extended piece on Chapman’s workout yesterday. The key takeaways: contrary to some rumors about his post-defection partying floating around — I hear Andorra is NUTS, babies — Chapman appeared to be in great shape, having added some muscle and looking way less wiry and fragile than he did in the WBC earlier this year. Also, his mechanics looked tighter, which suggests that his control may not be as bad as some people have worried. Finally, the concerns about the kid’s makeup seemed overblown. Arangure quotes an executive who spoke with Chapman: “He’s not a bad guy. He’s not an intellectual, but he’s certainly not dumb.” I guess that’s praise.
The upshot of all of this is that Chapman may be a hotter property than many suspected a week ago. Indeed, Baseball Prospectus’ Kevin Goldstein tweets that insiders are predicting that he could get $30 million.
Gentlemen, start your bidding.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)