Dec 17, 2009, 9:00 AM EDT
Less than two days after Aroldis Chapman’s workout, the good feelings about the guy are starting to spread.
After some piecemeal impressions on Tuesday, Jorge Arangure wrote an extended piece on Chapman’s workout yesterday. The key takeaways: contrary to some rumors about his post-defection partying floating around — I hear Andorra is NUTS, babies — Chapman appeared to be in great shape, having added some muscle and looking way less wiry and fragile than he did in the WBC earlier this year. Also, his mechanics looked tighter, which suggests that his control may not be as bad as some people have worried. Finally, the concerns about the kid’s makeup seemed overblown. Arangure quotes an executive who spoke with Chapman: “He’s not a bad guy. He’s not an intellectual, but he’s certainly not dumb.” I guess that’s praise.
The upshot of all of this is that Chapman may be a hotter property than many suspected a week ago. Indeed, Baseball Prospectus’ Kevin Goldstein tweets that insiders are predicting that he could get $30 million.
Gentlemen, start your bidding.
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 18
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 14
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 28
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 46
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (185)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)