Derek Lowe is not a happy camper

Dec 17, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT

Derek Lowe.jpgDerek Lowe, on the fact that the Braves are shopping him:

“I take it kind of personal,” Lowe said. “Nobody made them give me a
four-year, $60 million contract. There wasn’t a ransom or anybody
holding a gun to their heads. It was a negotiation and that’s what they
viewed as fair. I would have never even considered going there if I
knew that ultimately this was going to happen.”

No one was holding a gun to your head to accept such a large deal without a no-trade clause either, Derek.

And what does the fairness, or lack thereof, of your deal have to do with anything? This is a numbers game, but the number is not $45 million. It’s six. As in the number of starting pitchers the Braves have right now. The next most significant number is 5.59, as in your ERA in your final 21 starts last year, which makes you expendable. If you wanted to stay in Atlanta, you should have pitched better.

Derek Lowe has been in the majors for thirteen years. He should know how it works by now. Being traded is always a risk, even after signing a big deal. He shouldn’t take this sort of thing so personally.

1. Skids - Dec 17, 2009 at 8:50 AM

These babies kill me. They run where ever the money is, then act like spoiled kids when they percieve they are being disrespected.
    You guys treat it like a business, let the team treat you like one too.

2. Eat a Peach - Dec 17, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Derek Lowe is an overpaid mental midget. If an NTC was so important to him, why not give back some $$ and get one? How much would it have cost in salary? $1 million a year?
    “I would have never even considered going there if I knew that ultimately this was going to happen.” If we do some parsing here, this sentence is dependent on ‘this’. We need to know what ‘this’ is. If by ‘this’ happening he meant, I’m going to sign a huge contract and then turn in the following line: 4.67 ERA, 1.52 WHIP, .301 BA; well then I’m sure the Braves concur entirely, and would certainly never have considered him worth that kind of money.
    He was so bad that they may have to keep him and trade Javy Vazquez, who at least has some trade value. In any deal with Lowe at this point, how much of his remaining $45 million would ATL have to cover? I assume it would be on some sort of sliding scale opposite the value coming back, and I further assume it would be a lot of money regardless.

3. Jeff - Dec 17, 2009 at 9:16 AM

It may be my Yankee colored glasses, but I seem to remember him being a whiner and complainer when he was with Boston….

4. Ross - Dec 17, 2009 at 9:51 AM

And exactly what does he have to complain about? It’s not like he’s not going to get paid.

5. Craig - Dec 17, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Jeff you are right and thats why he was not resigned by the sox.

6. Old Gator - Dec 17, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Why waste time listening to Lowe kvetch? Just ship him to the Angels, who have got to be getting desperate right now and would swallow his contract whole. They’ve lost so many key players this offseason that their front office is beginning to feel like Ramses II the day after he got back from the Red Sea.
    Then, the Braves can invite John Rocker and Sidney Ponson to Spring training camp as undrafted free agents.

7. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 17, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Craig, I wonder if you were not such a BIG BRAVE FAN would have wrote the thing’s you wrote about Derek Lowe, YOU ARE BIAS, YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE EVEN GONE THERE, YOU TRUE SKIN IS SHOWING.THE BRAVES OUT BID EVERYONE AND THEIR PANTIES WERE HOT FOR HIM AND THEY EVEN OUT BID THE METS BY THROWING A EXTRA YEAR AT LOWE, SO EAT THE CONTRACT NOW. DON’T BE SPITEFUL NOW CRAIG WITH YOUR PERSONAL OPINION BECAUSE ” YOUR TEAM” SCREWED UP LIKE TOM HICKS WITH A-ROD AND THEN YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT THE YANKEES.GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!
    YOU BOUGHT IT, NOW KEEP IT.
    BUH BYE

8. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 17, 2009 at 12:38 PM

I’ll “GIVE YOU A BREAK” as soon as you can point me to the rule that says a team can’t trade a player who doesn’t have a no trade clause.

9. Tony A - Dec 17, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Holy Rolaids, OG, a ref to Rocker… I miss the Ku Klux Kloser…
    What’s he doing these days, I wonder…

10. Old Gator - Dec 17, 2009 at 2:27 PM

My best guess? He’s a Boy Scout leader because he gets to hate gays and practice tying slipknots at the same time, and in the evenings he’s out canvassing for Sarah Palin.

11. willmose - Dec 17, 2009 at 2:45 PM

FYI — Teams regularly trade players with no trade clauses. It’s a business and it is about the money. Lowe is a whinner. If he is so unhappy in Atlanta, he should retire and void the rest of his contract and then asked to reinstated. I’ll sure the Braves would waive their rights to him under those circumstances.

12. Derrick - Dec 18, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Hey Lowe, let trade places, you come and work 10 hrs a day 5 to 6 days a week for 5 figures, and I will go play a sport and make 8 figures. Shut up and and go where ever they send you.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3029)