Dec 17, 2009, 8:30 AM EST
Derek Lowe, on the fact that the Braves are shopping him:
“I take it kind of personal,” Lowe said. “Nobody made them give me a
four-year, $60 million contract. There wasn’t a ransom or anybody
holding a gun to their heads. It was a negotiation and that’s what they
viewed as fair. I would have never even considered going there if I
knew that ultimately this was going to happen.”
No one was holding a gun to your head to accept such a large deal without a no-trade clause either, Derek.
And what does the fairness, or lack thereof, of your deal have to do with anything? This is a numbers game, but the number is not $45 million. It’s six. As in the number of starting pitchers the Braves have right now. The next most significant number is 5.59, as in your ERA in your final 21 starts last year, which makes you expendable. If you wanted to stay in Atlanta, you should have pitched better.
Derek Lowe has been in the majors for thirteen years. He should know how it works by now. Being traded is always a risk, even after signing a big deal. He shouldn’t take this sort of thing so personally.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)