Dec 17, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
Derek Lowe, on the fact that the Braves are shopping him:
“I take it kind of personal,” Lowe said. “Nobody made them give me a
four-year, $60 million contract. There wasn’t a ransom or anybody
holding a gun to their heads. It was a negotiation and that’s what they
viewed as fair. I would have never even considered going there if I
knew that ultimately this was going to happen.”
No one was holding a gun to your head to accept such a large deal without a no-trade clause either, Derek.
And what does the fairness, or lack thereof, of your deal have to do with anything? This is a numbers game, but the number is not $45 million. It’s six. As in the number of starting pitchers the Braves have right now. The next most significant number is 5.59, as in your ERA in your final 21 starts last year, which makes you expendable. If you wanted to stay in Atlanta, you should have pitched better.
Derek Lowe has been in the majors for thirteen years. He should know how it works by now. Being traded is always a risk, even after signing a big deal. He shouldn’t take this sort of thing so personally.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 298
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (299)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)