Dec 17, 2009, 11:50 AM EDT
Amid reports that the Pirates are interested in signing a veteran left-handed hitter coming off a down year like Rick Ankiel, Hank Blalock, or Kelly Johnson, Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette suggests that they may end up simply going with young, in-house left-handed hitter Jeff Clement instead:
The deeper we get into this offseason, the clearer it is becoming that the Pirates want to see what Clement has, with maybe some urgency toward doing so before Pedro Alvarez and Jose Tabata arrive to crowd things further. They do nothing less than rave about what Clement did at the plate in Indianapolis right after the trade, and they sound as if they are very much looking forward to seeing if that translates.
Clement was once a top catching prospect, but just about everyone seems to have given up on the notion of him sticking behind the plate defensively and Pittsburgh got him from Seattle in the midseason deal for Ian Snell and Jack Wilson. While playing first base rather than catcher significantly lowers Clement’s overall upside, his bat still projects to be an asset. He’s struggled through 75 games in the majors, but the former No. 3 overall pick hit .279/.368/.492 with 59 homers and 95 doubles in 359 games at Triple-A.
Those aren’t spectacular numbers, especially spending four seasons at the same level, but Clement has 25-homer power and should supplement a modest batting average with a good number of walks. And as Kovacevic notes, at 26 years old and with over 1,500 plate appearances logged at Triple-A the time has come to see what Clement can do with 150 starts against big-league pitching. He’s certainly no worse of a bet than someone like Johnson or Blalock, and at a fraction of the cost with much more upside.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 0
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 16
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 50
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 62
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 30
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)