Halladay's 9 year-old son pulled the trigger on the trade

Dec 17, 2009, 3:20 PM EDT

My neighbor has a 9 year-old they won’t let operate the damn remote, but little Braden Halladay was the decision maker that changed the course of three franchises. Go kids:

“It’s such a family decision,” Roy Halladay’s wife was saying after
yesterday’s press conference at Citizens Bank Park made it official.
“We were sitting with our agent who is like family and we said, ‘OK,
we’ve got to decide what to do.’ So I grabbed my phone and I called my
9-year-old. And I said Braden, ‘This is the situation. I’m going to put
you on the phone and you guys decide if this is what we’re going to
take.’

Someone in Philly ought to make a phony Braden Halladay Twitter account and use it to second-guess Charlie Manuel’s decisions all next season. “Dood — I totly wldnt hv brgt @Lidge in there and pulled @Dad. @Lidge sux /fml. #CitoGastonRulz”

1. Jeremy - Dec 17, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I wonder if it still would’ve been a “family decision” if Braden had told dad to approve a trade to the Royals (“Dad, you and Zac Greinke in the same rotation would be awesome!”).

2. Christian - Dec 17, 2009 at 3:44 PM

I bet Braden also decided what prospects the Phillies would give up in the Halladay-Lee deal. It would explain why it seems as if it took the insight/foresight of an adolescent boy.

3. RobRob - Dec 17, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Next thing you know, he’ll be saying it was because of the Philadelphia school systems.

4. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 17, 2009 at 4:12 PM

and to think, I had to drag you kicking and screaming into Twitterville.

5. RichardInDallas - Dec 17, 2009 at 4:13 PM

I feel sorry for your neighbor’s kid. He’s getting no practice being a person. Choosing steak or lobster (or, quite possibly, hot dog or fish sticks) could be more than he’ll be able to handle as an adult. Seems to me that if Halliday’s kid can make such a weighty decision at 9, could be that by the time he’s 40 or so he could probably make the right decision as to whether or not we should invade Canada for the oil, and very well could be in the position to do so. Go kids!

6. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 17, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I know. I’ve been on it, what, 12 days, and I’m already gettin’ the shakes today due to it being slow and broken or whatever.

7. fish oil - Jan 16, 2010 at 9:00 AM

I am a retired teacher. Lately I am feeling degregationproblems with my memory and I am concerned about it. I was considering memory practice, or omega3 fish oil capsuls. What is the best option?

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto