Dec 17, 2009, 1:55 PM EDT
So, how did LaTroy Hawkins convince the Brewers to give him a two-year, $7.5 million deal at age 37? According to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, he schmoozed them in person at the winter meetings:
“It helped he was in Indianapolis with his representative, Larry Reynolds,” general manager Doug Melvin said. “I had a chance to meet with him. Whenever you have a chance to meet with someone in person, it always helps negotiations. LaTroy wanted to come up and meet us.” …
“I’m a firm believer that talking to a guy in person, you get to know him a little bit better,” Hawkins said. “I watched this team from afar and really admired what they’ve done the last few years putting a team together. I just wanted to be a part of that.”
And the $7.5 million probably wasn’t bad either.
My cousin has a friend who’s a member of the LaTroy Hawkins fan club dating back to his days with the Twins and basically describes “Hawk” as the world’s nicest person. And whether in Minnesota, Chicago, Houston, New York, San Francisco, Baltimore, or Colorado the reporters covering Hawkins’ teams have also tended to rave about how friendly and accessible he is.
The morale of the story? If you’re a really nice, outgoing person and have a 3.29 ERA in 655 career relief appearances you can probably earn yourself some extra cash along the way.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)