Jason Bay: the next Bobby Bonilla?

Dec 17, 2009, 10:00 AM EDT

That’s what the New York Post’s Mike Vaccaro calls Jason Bay as he warns the Mets away from taking the plunge into what he calls the second tier of the free agent market:

And that brings me around to this point: How many times do you need to
have anvils fall on your head before you take a step out of the way?
Which is to say, how many times do you have to sign Kevin Appier and
Bobby Bonilla before you recognize the difference between attracting
the cream of a good free-agent class (see Sabathia, CC, and Teixeira, Mark) and the prettiest homecoming queens of Homely High? And that’s what the Mets would be doing here.

Vaccaro is not the arbiter of all that is wise, but I am unaware of a single pundit or fan who has come out in favor of the Mets signing Bay to the five-year deal he wants.  And they may still not do it. John Harper of the Daily News notes this morning that the Mets are trying to hold the line at four years and not bid against themselves.

Of course it is Omar Minaya we’re talking about, and he doesn’t do a lot to instill confidence. To that end Harper has the line of the day, saying that the Mets have “apparently determined not to be bluffed into overpaying any more than necessary for the free-agent left fielder.”

Read that quote again if the humor of it escaped you the first time.

1. Travis M. Nelson - Dec 17, 2009 at 11:16 AM

It did escape me the first time. But I’m glad to hear that they’ll only overpay as much as they absolutely have to. That’s comforting.
    You’d think that they would have learned by now, (from Trot Nixon and Cliff Floyd and Alex Cora and Doug Mientkiewicz and Brian Daubach and especially Pedro Martinez): When the Red Sox are done with a guy in his 30’s, you probably don’t want him. Sure, there’s the occasional Derek Lowe or Johnny Damon, but those are the exceptions, not the rule.

2. -z- - Dec 17, 2009 at 11:29 AM

There’s no one the Mets can sign who will put even one more fanny in the seats. Couple that with the fact that the oldest of the Phillies core players is Rollins and he’s 30. Add that on top of the Wilpons recent fincancial reverses and it’s time for the Mets to come to the conclusion that they aren’t going to be challenging for anything in the next year or two – Soooo – Now’s the time to be a seller – Stock up on other people’s A grade prospects – Beltran/Reyes/Santana aren’t going to do a thing for this team and would be highly desireable to others.

3. ecp - Dec 17, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Reyes, yes. Beltran and Santana would be virtually unmoveable because they both have expensive contracts and full no-trade clauses. Any trade involving those too would also involve a lot of cash going to the other team to help offset salary.

4. TCRJr - Dec 17, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Hey, They were both Pirates!

5. kirk - Dec 17, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Note to Mets: Please stop having Omar Minaya give press conferences!!!!!!!!!! Doesn’t the team have a PR guy that speaks on behalf of the team. I will volunteer if need be to stop Minaya from speaking to the press again. Please do not even let Minaya know that there is a press conference. He will likely barge in, and blame Adam Rubin for the reason why he can not sign John Lackey.
    Please!!!!!

6. kirk - Dec 17, 2009 at 12:22 PM

I forgot the content of the article: I still can not stand Bobby Bonilla. If it is possible that one man could set back an organization for five years, he sure is the guy.

7. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 17, 2009 at 12:22 PM

I GAVE UP ON THIS TEAM A LONG TIME AGO, FELLAS I SUGGEST
    YOU DO THE SAME. IF YOU DECIDE TO CONTINUE YOUR SUPPORT
    YOU WILL ONLY BE RECOGNIZABLE TO JET FANS AND THE OCCASIONAL
    NETS FAN. METS, NETS AND JETS ALL SUCK, WHEN THEY WIN YOU
    CAN JUMP BACK ON THE WAGON.ME I ROOT FOR THE YANKEES, THEY WIN.
    ALOT AND OFTEN !!!
    BUH BYE

8. kevin - Dec 17, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Jason Bay would be a positive addition to the Mets. They need a right-handed bat and the power. Bay has been a solid citizen and more than above average productive player in both Pittsburg and Boston. Boston did not give up on him- they offered 60 million dollars. People conveniently forget the Mets were a top team 2 of the last 3 years and collapsed because of poor pitching management, especially after Wagner was injured. Had the Mets any sort of closer two years ago they beat the Phillies by 8 games. Bay will be an ideal compliment to Franquer, Wright, Beltran, Reyes, and Delgado- who the Mets would be foolish to not bring back. Give Bay the five years and get this thing done. There’s pitching out there to be had…

9. NJayDevil - Dec 17, 2009 at 12:47 PM

The Mets should fire Omar and the Coupon Wilpons should sell the team if they are not serious about building a championship caliber team (putting a good product on the field). How can it be that the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Angels, Dodgers consistently have teams that are contending/playing in the playoffs and the Mets, who spend just as much if not more consistenly fail to do so. The Mets front office, management, scouting dept, personnell apparently have no experience/skill running a baseball team. I commend them for spending what they do, but lets face it, they do not know how to scout and evaluate. They have no credible farm system and do not develop their own players like the Minnesota Twins do. I have been a Mets fan all my life (45 years) but I gotta tell you, I have been losing my patience with this team and I honestly can tell you I am not sure I even enjoy watching them anymore. I suppose the Phillies are not a bad choice. I did root for them in the playoffs (I am all east coast when rooting) and they have a team of hard, gritty players with a lot of heart that do not quit and fight and play all nine innings.

10. H - Dec 17, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Hey -z- ,
    Chase Utley 31
    Jimmy Rollins 31
    Jason Werth 30
    Carlos Ruiz 30
    Ryan Howard 30
    Shane Victorino 29
    Placido Polanco 34
    Greg Dobbs 31
    Raul ibanez 37
    Brad Lidge 32
    Jc Romero 33
    etc etc
    So all the Phillies starters except for one is 30 and over.
    Do your homework before posting.
    The Mets are much younger, but age doesn’t mean everything, because they still are terrible.

11. Simon DelMonte - Dec 17, 2009 at 1:12 PM

I think that at this point, Minaya could bring world peace and solve global warming, and he’d still get it from the New York press. Maybe he’s earned their distrust, but it does feel like objectivity is impossible when invoking his name.
    As for Bay, I just don’t know what I think if the Mets get him. If he’s really one of the top three free agents, isn’t singing him a good thing? Yes, they might pay too much. Yes, 5 years is too long. But the Mets need to fill some holes, and he’s apparently a good player. So I don’t know if that rampaging negativity is an honest assessment of something I don’t see, or just expecting everything the Mets do to go bad.

12. Old Gator - Dec 17, 2009 at 2:42 PM

“I still can not stand Bobby Bonilla. If it is possible that one man could set back an organization for five years, he sure is the guy.”
    Well, it’s now been – what – thirteen years since Bobby left the Mutts for the Marlins after having the New York writers pile onto him about as viciously as they’d piled onto anyone since Roger Maris, and once dug out from under that Mt. Everest of quasi-journalistic excrement, he sprang back to life, played his guts out, and was instrumental in helping the Feesh win their 1997 World Championship. Amazing what you can do when you don’t have the Goebbels clones on the Post, Daily News, Times, Newsday and Star-Ledger hunting for you. Let’s face it, once they’ve tasted your blood, being on the wrong side of that bunch of (at best) semi-literate laptop piranhas up there is like having a slamhound slotted into your pheromones.

13. MetsFan - Dec 17, 2009 at 3:31 PM

if they can land holliday, do it. otherwise… don’t get jason bay cause you panicked at the checkout counter.
    sadly… that’s EXACTLY what this team will do. i’m THANKFUL lackey already signed, otherwise he’d have a 7 year deal in place w/the mets with full no-trade clauses everywhere.

14. louie - Dec 18, 2009 at 11:03 AM

That’s not really being a fan!!! Ur just a bandwagon jumper and have no reason saying the mets,nets,jets suck!! Where are all those Bulls fan when Jordan retired!!! Bandwagon jumpers are not true fans,they just go with whatever teams are winning at the time!!!

15. Offshore - Dec 18, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Former season tix holder, lifetime fan who has been thru too many long and dark peroids as a Met fan. Some of you know what I’m talking about… we’re starting/middle of one of those dark periods now except the people in charge don’t realize it nor have any clue what to do to right the ship.
    Based upon what I’ve seen so far the kids of Wilpon and Dolan would never survive on their own in the real world. Like the Knicks & Rangers this was a class organization, a team with a great story playing i/f/o knowledgable & loyal fans. Remember when everybody loved the Mets and hated the Yanks… and somehow these mutts turned that around.
    How long will Daddio continue to accept the repeated failures of their inept offspring to come up with anything but zeros. If it were anybody else they would have been shown the door.
    This is the #1 market and they have resources like their own channel, incredible fan base, high profile everything etc… and yet they still go out and get crapped on year in and year out and try to sell this product to their fans. The rest of the league is mocking you… you’re the hapless Mets except you’re neither cute nor funny anymore.
    Why don’t you post how many of your season tix holders are jumping ship Jeff? Sure the economy is tough but you couldn’t sell or fill those inner box seats last year despite the give aways. This year most season tix holders I know have dropped out due to, of all things, frustration.
    That sucking sound coming from Flushing is the sound of another season down the toilet. Usually we have to wait until late summer but you out did yourself. You have sucked the life out of this fan who was there long before you won the sperm lottery.
    I keep thinking its all a bad dream

16. Deandra Opsahl - Jan 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Aw, this was a really quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never seem to get something done.

17. Kelly - Mar 9, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Very informative, thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

Orioles turn AL East on its head