Dec 17, 2009, 4:20 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Miami-Dade County approved proposals for $5.3 million in public art projects for the Marlins new ballpark. They rejected my Jeff Conine fresco — apparently they didn’t believe me when I told them that the nudity would be tasteful — but they did approve some jumping fish contraption:
It’s still conceptual and difficult to describe, but it’s something
like an arcade game decorated with pelicans and seagulls, blue sky and
clouds with a series of marlins that will actually jump after a Marlins
player hits a home run.
If by “like an arcade game” they mean “like that scene at the end of the Sesame Street cartoon where the pinball travels all over during the “one-two-three-FOUR-five-six-seven-eight-NINE-ten-eleven-tweeeeeeeelve” song, than I understand. Here’s the video. Judge for yourself.
I actually kind of like it. I mean, it’s no Big Apple and no drunken, lederhosen-wearing mustachioed mascot sliding into a giant mug of beer, but it’s got something going for it. Beats fireworks anyway.
(thanks to Pete Toms for the link)
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 57
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 27
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)