Miami taxpayers are buying some giant jumping fish home run thingie

Dec 17, 2009, 4:20 PM EDT

Marlins logo.jpgOn Tuesday, Miami-Dade County approved proposals for $5.3 million in public art projects for the Marlins new ballpark.  They rejected my Jeff Conine fresco — apparently they didn’t believe me when I told them that the nudity would be tasteful — but they did approve some jumping fish contraption:

It’s still conceptual and difficult to describe, but it’s something
like an arcade game decorated with pelicans and seagulls, blue sky and
clouds with a series of marlins that will actually jump after a Marlins
player hits a home run.

If by “like an arcade game” they mean “like that scene at the end of the Sesame Street cartoon where the pinball travels all over during the “one-two-three-FOUR-five-six-seven-eight-NINE-ten-eleven-tweeeeeeeelve” song, than I understand. Here’s the video. Judge for yourself.

I actually kind of like it. I mean, it’s no Big Apple and no drunken, lederhosen-wearing mustachioed mascot sliding into a giant mug of beer, but it’s got something going for it. Beats fireworks anyway.

(thanks to Pete Toms for the link)

1. aleskel - Dec 17, 2009 at 4:27 PM

“They rejected my Jeff Conine fresco — apparently they didn’t believe me when I told them that the nudity would be tasteful”
    This got a spit-take out of me. Nicely done.

2. Old Gator - Dec 17, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Just be thankful they also rejected the Natascha Seijas fresco. Although, assuming you also like splatter films and always turn to look before you flush, that side of the stadium might have been the easiest one to park on.

3. Gold Star for Robot Boy - Dec 17, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Ugh – that’s hideous.

4. peteinfla - Dec 17, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Hideous is an understatement. It reminds me of the cartoons from Monty Python’s Flying Circus. But they were made to be awful!

5. Eli - Dec 18, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Right on Peteinfla. I was about to post the same thing. Right out of the Flying Circus.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3736)