Report: Yankees sign Johnson to DH

Dec 17, 2009, 7:32 PM EDT

According to Newsday’s Ken Davidoff, free agent Nick Johnson will return to where he began his career and sign a one-year, $5.5 million contract with the Yankees.
It seems like quite a bargain, though Johnson isn’t necessarily any better of a bet for the Yankees than Hideki Matsui would have been. Johnson can still play the field pretty well, but the Yankees won’t need him there and will make him a full-time DH instead. The signing goes against the reasoning used against re-signing Matsui: the Yankees wanted to go with a revolving door at DH to give their older regulars more time off. However, Johnson will do some sitting against left-handers and he’s likely to miss some time over the course of the year.
For fantasy purposes, Johnson just went from fringe property to potential stud. The Yankees wanted him largely because of his annual .400 OBP, but he could also be good for 20 homers with the short porch in right field in Yankee Stadium and he’s a significantly better bet to stay healthy as a DH. If the Yankees fail to re-sign Johnny Damon, Johnson would be a better option in the two-hole in the lineup than fellow newcomer Curtis Granderson. No, he doesn’t have much speed, but the Yankees don’t need their No. 2 hitter stealing bases with Mark Teixeira and Alex Rodriguez up anyway.

1. Yankees? C'mon - Dec 21, 2009 at 5:33 AM

Is that all you know how to say? Babbling? Either you know on some level I make a good point and can’t admit it or you’re too dense to get it. I don’t know what kind of person you are but you think you’re somebody: hence Dr. Phil. If you’re a loyal longtime fan, great. A band wagoner who thinks it’s The Shizzle to don the Yanks colors then you’re the kind of douche bag I’m addressin’. Oh and, jealous? Not in the time it takes for infinity to find it’s end. Bye, bye.

2. Yankees? C'mon - Dec 21, 2009 at 5:45 AM

Montanaman, just so you know, I’m from Montana too. Unless uou meant something else, perhaps Manhattan. Show me a team owned by one person that is putting money in their pocket. They all do in some way or not. That is not my point. Whilst I think Steinbrenner is a joke and unscrupulous, my true point is not about him. I can not begin to understand how so many people can fall in-line with a team bought to win, especially given the price, should be! It’s like, hey, my kid just won the fastest soapbox derby in the 5-7 year old group! Never mind I, his 35 year old dad built the racer and the other kids had to build their own, MY KID WON! Well, F-ing duh! He should have! Get it now?

3. Yankees? C'mon - Dec 21, 2009 at 5:54 AM

You don’t know him, never heard of him but know it’s a good fit…Jesus. Band wagon, please ad more suspension for the Extra cargo…

4. Yankees? C'mon! - Dec 21, 2009 at 6:01 AM

Oh you wish I were jealous. You’re annoyed cause you know I’m right. Try a low cal not bought and paid for super star diet! See if you like it! My guess is this; next big winner and you’re licking that up too. Imagine your little Yankees in the toilet? Would you clean them off and care for them?! Bet not. It’s easy to love and suck on a weiner, huh? Oops, I meant winner…

5. Yankees? C'mon! - Dec 21, 2009 at 6:25 AM

Ever consider the fact that Matsui wanted to leave?! I’ve been watching a TON of baseball, almost every game since 95 and I saw Matsui come to America after Ichiro. The next big position player from Japan. And he was/is GOOD. I watched him break his wrist the very last year that George had his facilities and had the GALL to publically criticsize Torre and the whole team before he broke that wrist. I could be wrong, but I’m betting Matsui decided then and there to wave godbye to George…Matsui elluded to wanting a trade that year. Karma, George, is a BITCH. Yankee fans had better start seeing this too. The players are WONDERFUL, albeit A-Rod. (I wouldn’t want him if life depended on it. I don’t care if he’s the second best player in baseball…behind Puljouls). But this kind of calling guys out like George and fans do will be the beign of YOUR existence. Someday. Matsui doesn’t want to be a Yankee, especially not one of George’s or your’s. If you don’t believe me, look back on your “film”. That is, if you still have it. After all…it was a losing year.

6. Yankees? C'mon! - Dec 21, 2009 at 6:34 AM

You are very right. Plus, you are not the kind of fan I am refering to. I really do appreciate your comment and your insight. You have the ability to see things objectively. I wish more did. You are not the kind of fan I am trying to reach. The others don’t get it. Even on my side. Loving a team or a thing no matter or because you have loyalty is a good thing. Having passion for a game is good too. I just haven’t had any good experiences with many Yankee fans. I am not so dumb as to think all are alike. No way. There are idiots everywhere. You are not one of them. Bless you. Seriously.

7. Yankees? C'mon - Dec 21, 2009 at 6:45 AM

Again with the Yankees putting the money back. Tell me what you know about how much all the other teams spend?! Sounds like poilitical spin to me. They all do. They HAVE to disclose the payroll and profits. Also, I don’t truly care in every sense of the word what they spend…my point, over and over again is the fans that just eat this crap up!!!! 2 things, what DO YOU expect with that amount spent and WHAT would you donor feel for your BELOVED team if they had the record of the Rays, until recently?! If you’d still support them, GREAT. How many of you would though? Already found one douche who wouldn’t…I have a valid point! It’s easy for you guys to piss on everyone below you and not feel what it’s like. Try NOT being on top of the hill and only having 70 mil for a whole team! K???!!!

8. Yankees? C'mon! - Dec 21, 2009 at 6:57 AM

Honey, you you have no idea where I’m coming from. One thing I am very aware of though…the Red Sox are falling in close behind these Yanks. Whining?! You don’t know me. If my team EVER started spending the luxury tax like these Yanks and the Red Sox are starting to do…not to mention the Mets, I’d give up on them! Judge away baby. You have no idea what I’m talking about. If you were a Ray fan or a Twins fan or a lowly Royals fan, then you wouldn’t tell me to chill. You’d understand. After all, Red Sox knew how bad it felt for so long…

9. Yankees? C'mon! - Dec 21, 2009 at 7:27 AM

Oh sunshine! I KNOW it’s baseball! Believe me, I know baseball since the mid nineties! Let me ask you this big boy…how much would YOU and yours be lovin’ the Yankees if they got paid NADA?! and were suckin’ scum off the bottom? Would you still be behind ‘em? Bet not!!! HUH?!

10. Yankees? C'mon! - Dec 21, 2009 at 7:43 AM

Well HELLO NY fan! Thank you so VERY MUCH!!!! You just PROVED my point!!!! You walked right in without a clue!!!! Ditched your fellow NY Teams, cause WHY???!!!! Oh YEAH, they weren’t winning! GD shame that being a fair weather fan isn’t an arrestable offense! How do you love your Yankees now? what if they were LOSING?! Oh, like in the Nick years….how sad. That wasn’t even 5 years ago! Man, you money-means-nothing-we-LOVE- our-WINNING-Yankees fans really don’t get it. I wish I had a million. Would YOU still be stayin’ wit’ yo’ boys if dey were losin’ little I-ditched-the-Giants-Jets-and Mets-cause-they-weren’t winin’ man? Do I seem pissed and hostile? Well yes I am…cause most you all don’t get my drift. The ones who are faithful….God Bless ya or whatever. You drips who think I’m whining, I rest my case on everyone of YOU…starting with this guy right here.

11. Yankees? C'mon! - Dec 21, 2009 at 7:44 AM

12. Yankees? C'mon! - Dec 21, 2009 at 8:06 AM

This general message is to all Yankee fans who only love the uniform. All others with a keen sense of baseball knowledge and loyality, this is not directed at you. Over the years I have watched, read and listened to these “Yankee Fans” who think there is nothing greater on this earth, diss the HELL out of players with mega talent on opposing teams. Only when some of these players became Yankees did I hear nice things being said about these players that at other times were considered worthless. This is the problem I have with your kind. The winning team, the uniform and the notarity of following the glam. It’s just like the Lakers in L.A. It’s hip to don the colors and appear to be a part. This is what I mean by being part of a
    derogatory part of our society, perpetuated in something that is supposed to entertain and educate. You don’t get in though? Do you? That is an even larger part of the problem…so sad.

13. jj racoon - Dec 29, 2009 at 9:27 AM

I dont resent the Yankees for the money they spend but just for being the Yankees!!!!For some reason they of all teams in all sports have won my animosity. Their success is my angst and their failure is my special treat. I do not believe anyone that says they would be mad at their own team for spending lots of money to win. The Yankee fans pay for it with increased prices to get a seat or food at the game. Too bad there is a segment of the Yankee nation that takes it too far and acts like football fanatics instead of fans of the game!!!

14. Philadelphia SEO - Feb 4, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Hello. Great job, I did not expect this, this is a great post. Thanks!

15. Elmo Faircloth - Feb 8, 2010 at 4:28 PM

That is an fascinating read, I believe you’ve obtained a excellent outlook on issues!

16. star screen printing - Feb 8, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Hey guys I need some opinions.I’m going to different blogs asking football fans what they think about my shirt idea. Since this New Orleans Saints won the Super Bowl I was thinking “champions 2010″ with the Saints logo what do you guys think

17. conceive a baby boy - Feb 12, 2010 at 7:54 AM

Great Web site!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3083)