Some simple proposals to fix baseball

Dec 17, 2009, 12:15 PM EST

Baseball rule book.jpgWashington Post columnist Thomas Boswell
is a big fan of the new committee tasked with looking at rules changes,
pace of game issues and the like.  In fact, he’s so enthusiastic he
offers a dozen or so of his own suggestions, most of which are aimed at
speeding up the game.  On the whole I like his proposals, but let’s
take them one at a time because lunch isn’t ready just yet:

Changing the rules so a pitcher would have to face at least two batters:
Worst idea first. I’m all for reducing La Russa-style hyper-specialized
bullpen use because it sucks, but I don’t think changing a fairly
fundamental part of the game — the manager’s ability to change
pitchers — is the way to do it. Sometimes it does make sense
to bring in a lefty killer to get that one killer lefty out. It just
doesn’t make sense to do this twice a game, every game.  I think
education and a p.r. initiative is a better bet than a rule change here.

Ban mound visits: Boswell suggests “miking up” the pitcher and
the coaches. That’s kind of silly if you ask me, but there are a lot of
meetings out there. I’d say (a) count a visit from the pitching coach
in the manager-must-change-the-pitcher-if-he-visits-twice rule; and (b)

(note: coach visits are already counted; my bad) find a way to crack down on catcher-pitcher mound meetings.  A football
team doesn’t get extra time outs if the quarterback and the receivers
can’t get on the same page, and pitchers and catchers who can’t get
their stuff together shouldn’t get to stop the game either.

Putting a clock on mid-inning pitching changes: Fine with me.

Canning “God Bless America”: Ditto. I’ll take my daily does of nationalism at the beginning of the ballgame, thank you very much.

Waving the hitter to first on an intentional walk: I’m good with
this too. Other than tradition, I don’t see the utility in making the
pitcher throw four pitches. If we need something ceremonial to signal
an IBB, how about some sort of cap-off bow by the pitcher to the
batter? In addition to it having something of a reverent, Asian-flair,
it might also lead to fewer IBBs on account of pride and ego and
whatnot.

No home field advantage to the All-Star Game winner: Amen, amen
a thousand times amen. I like Boswell’s specific reasoning here too:
the current rule, in addition to being dumb, has the effect of
exacerbating the imbalance between the leagues.

No November games: He’s right about this, but on an abstract
level I do kind of like there being one less baseball-free month on the
calendar. Boswell’s suggestions: no WBC-induced delay, schedule some
more doubleheaders, fewer days off in the postseason all make perfect
sense, and if the La Russa committee doesn’t spit those suggestions out
after their first meeting they’re not worth the conference room in
which they caucus.

Replay: Boswell assumes that there won’t be expanded replay in
the regular season, though we may see it in the postseason. I’d be fine
with this. I’d be much finer with the idea I floated a couple of months
ago: simply station an extra ump in the booth with replay equipment.
Make sure he watches the game closely. Rather than dealing with
challenges and official reviews and everything, simply give him the
booth guy the power to call down to the crew chief when they mess up
something really bad, keeping the discretion in-house with the umpires,
but just giving them another set of eyes.

I’m sure I could go on and on about this stuff. I’m sure you could too. Thoughts, in the comments, are appreciated.

1. Marilou Henderickson - Jan 24, 2010 at 3:17 AM

That is some inspirational stuff. Never knew that opinions could be this varied. Thanks for all the enthusiasm to offer such helpful information here.

2. Sherly Colford - Jan 24, 2010 at 9:22 AM

It appears that you have placed a lot of effort into your article and I require more of these on the net these days. I sincerely got a kick out of your post. I don’t really have much to say in response, I only wanted to comment to reply wonderful work.

3. Ceallach Fólki - Jan 27, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Hey I just wanted to let you know, I really like the composition on your site. But I am utilising Flock on a machine running version 9.10 of Xubuntu and the look and feel aren’t quite proper. Not a important deal, I can still essentially read the articles and research for information, but just wanted to inform you about that. The navigation bar is kind of difficult to use with the config I’m running. Keep up the good work!

4. SHOE INSERTS - Jan 29, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Shoe lifts are wedge-shaped blocks that fit in the heel portion of a shoe, with the purpose of adding elevation beneath one or both feet for therapeutic reasons. People who endure foot pain from wearing shoes for a long time. height insoles can alleviate suffering. Heel lifts are also useful for those who want to increase their height.

5. Deandra Shearin - Feb 3, 2010 at 5:39 AM

Hello there, great article, I really enjoyed reading it. the article gave me the momentum to attempt my own post, please see my blog by clicking my name at the top of this comment, Many thanks

6. Pharmacy - Feb 11, 2010 at 3:27 PM

good good…this post deserves nothing …hahaha just joking :P …nice post :P

7. Tara Bridging - Feb 21, 2010 at 9:10 PM

I don’t work here. I’m a consultant

8. Timothy Blaine Equity - Mar 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM

This is truly a great read for me!! I love the quality information and news your blog provides. There is night so we can appreciate day, sorrow so we can appreciate joy, evil so we can appreciate good, you so i can appreciate love.

9. Stephen Schemes - Mar 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM

All computers wait at the same speed

10. Charles Bruce Bridging - Mar 5, 2010 at 6:39 AM

Nice way of summing it up.. cheers I like your style … I like your class … but most of all I like your ass

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester