Dec 17, 2009, 10:50 AM EDT
Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times is reporting that the Dodgers and Reds are discussing a possible trade of starter Aaron Harang. Hernandez got this from “multiple baseball sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the talks.” Totally senstive. I mean, last time someone let a loose word slip about Aaron Harang a Nazi sub sank a troop transport in the north Atlantic and we lost 400 of our bravest fighting men.
Top secrecy aside, Harang was an above average horse for several years before some arm trouble — brought on by some overuse in my view — has led to a couple of pretty disappointing seasons. He’s slated to make $12.5 million next season. If he’s traded, the $12.75 million he’s owed for 2011 becomes a mutual option with a $2.5 million buyout. He also could pass himself off as Vincent Schiavelli’s son if he wanted to, and Vincent Schiavelli was pretty damn cool, God rest his soul.
Why a team in the sort of financial straits the Dodgers are in wants to acquire an average-at-best, Vincent Schiavelli lookalike workhorse for at least $15 million is beyond me, but I’m just a lowly blogger who don’t know nothin’ about anything.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)