Dec 17, 2009, 10:50 AM EDT
Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times is reporting that the Dodgers and Reds are discussing a possible trade of starter Aaron Harang. Hernandez got this from “multiple baseball sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the talks.” Totally senstive. I mean, last time someone let a loose word slip about Aaron Harang a Nazi sub sank a troop transport in the north Atlantic and we lost 400 of our bravest fighting men.
Top secrecy aside, Harang was an above average horse for several years before some arm trouble — brought on by some overuse in my view — has led to a couple of pretty disappointing seasons. He’s slated to make $12.5 million next season. If he’s traded, the $12.75 million he’s owed for 2011 becomes a mutual option with a $2.5 million buyout. He also could pass himself off as Vincent Schiavelli’s son if he wanted to, and Vincent Schiavelli was pretty damn cool, God rest his soul.
Why a team in the sort of financial straits the Dodgers are in wants to acquire an average-at-best, Vincent Schiavelli lookalike workhorse for at least $15 million is beyond me, but I’m just a lowly blogger who don’t know nothin’ about anything.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 37
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 95
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (97)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)