Dec 17, 2009, 4:47 PM EDT
Mark Healey of Baseball Digest reports that the Mets and the Reds are in “serious talks” about a trade involving Bronson Arroyo. Nothing is likely to get done quickly, however, because according to Healey’s source there are multiple other players involved — including more Reds — and because the Mets “have a player under contract that needs to be moved in order for the deal to be expanded,” whatever that means.
The Mets are the rare team that is both pitching starved and who could take on a contract like Arroyo’s, so assuming they’re not giving up the whole world for him, he’s probably worth pursuing. While at first blush it might seem like a good thing for Arroyo to get away from Great American Ballpark, with the exception of 2009, he’s actually pitched better in that bandbox than he has on the road. Not that Citi Field wouldn’t be a nice place to pitch regardless.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)