Dec 17, 2009, 4:47 PM EDT
Mark Healey of Baseball Digest reports that the Mets and the Reds are in “serious talks” about a trade involving Bronson Arroyo. Nothing is likely to get done quickly, however, because according to Healey’s source there are multiple other players involved — including more Reds — and because the Mets “have a player under contract that needs to be moved in order for the deal to be expanded,” whatever that means.
The Mets are the rare team that is both pitching starved and who could take on a contract like Arroyo’s, so assuming they’re not giving up the whole world for him, he’s probably worth pursuing. While at first blush it might seem like a good thing for Arroyo to get away from Great American Ballpark, with the exception of 2009, he’s actually pitched better in that bandbox than he has on the road. Not that Citi Field wouldn’t be a nice place to pitch regardless.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 3
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 39
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)