Dec 17, 2009, 4:47 PM EDT
Mark Healey of Baseball Digest reports that the Mets and the Reds are in “serious talks” about a trade involving Bronson Arroyo. Nothing is likely to get done quickly, however, because according to Healey’s source there are multiple other players involved — including more Reds — and because the Mets “have a player under contract that needs to be moved in order for the deal to be expanded,” whatever that means.
The Mets are the rare team that is both pitching starved and who could take on a contract like Arroyo’s, so assuming they’re not giving up the whole world for him, he’s probably worth pursuing. While at first blush it might seem like a good thing for Arroyo to get away from Great American Ballpark, with the exception of 2009, he’s actually pitched better in that bandbox than he has on the road. Not that Citi Field wouldn’t be a nice place to pitch regardless.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)