Dec 17, 2009, 8:00 AM EDT
Rosenthal and Morosi report that Baltimore has “jumped into the bidding” for Matt Holliday. They don’t say exactly what that means — have they made an offer? Have they asked for a meeting? Are they merely Facebook friends? — and while they make some decent arguments as to why Holliday might make sense in Baltimore, they don’t provide any indication that Holliday is taking them seriously.
Could this be something that was just thrown out there by Boras in an attempt to juice negotiations with the Cardinals? The FOX guys are usually more discerning than that so I doubt it, but the Orioles alleged interest doesn’t really fit in with the plan Andy MacPhail has been implementing of late. Sure, they signed two free agents yesterday, but those aren’t king-sized deals like the kind Holliday would command.
I suppose we’ll know soon enough how serious the Orioles’ interest is, but in the meantime I can’t help but think that their “jump” into the bidding is merely an effort to stoke some excitement in the fan base as opposed to seriously wanting to lay out $100 million or whatever it would take to actually bring him to Baltimore.
UPDATE: And Adrian Gonzalez too? Really, is Baltimore actually looking to do something huge?
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 33
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)