The Orioles are bidding for Matt Holliday? Really?

Dec 17, 2009, 8:00 AM EDT

Rosenthal and Morosi report that Baltimore has “jumped into the bidding” for Matt Holliday. They don’t say exactly what that means — have they made an offer? Have they asked for a meeting? Are they merely Facebook friends? — and while they make some decent arguments as to why Holliday might make sense in Baltimore, they don’t provide any indication that Holliday is taking them seriously.

Could this be something that was just thrown out there by Boras in an attempt to juice negotiations with the Cardinals? The FOX guys are usually more discerning than that so I doubt it, but the Orioles alleged interest doesn’t really fit in with the plan Andy MacPhail has been implementing of late. Sure, they signed two free agents yesterday, but those aren’t king-sized deals like the kind Holliday would command.

I suppose we’ll know soon enough how serious the Orioles’ interest is, but in the meantime I can’t help but think that their “jump” into the bidding is merely an effort to stoke some excitement in the fan base as opposed to seriously wanting to lay out $100 million or whatever it would take to actually bring him to Baltimore.

UPDATE: And Adrian Gonzalez too?  Really, is Baltimore actually looking to do something huge?

1. John_Michael - Dec 17, 2009 at 8:24 AM

The Adrian Gonzalez notion has been floating around the Balmer sports talk atmosphere for a while. Not really substantiated, but moreso ‘he’s a good 1B, which we don’t have, and we have the prospects to get him.’

2. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Dec 17, 2009 at 8:46 AM

wow, an outfield of Jones, Markakis and Holliday would be fierce. If the O’s young pitchers come through, the AL East could be very interesting next year.

3. Eric Solomon - Dec 17, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Yankee fan here…now rooting for Baltimore to snatch AGonz from the clutches of Theo and the Sox :)

4. Jeff V. - Dec 17, 2009 at 9:07 AM

I don’t see Holliday as being a real option but I can see AGon, if I squint real hard and tilt my head a bit to the left. He is young, talented and fills a position of need. The O’s have the money and prospects to get him.
    What I do not see is why SD has any need to trade him at all. He is a local boy and the NL West is the easiest division in baseball to compete in.

5. AJ Gallo - Dec 17, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Sorry, I can’t see the Orioles pursuing either in a what would be normally considered as being in a serious manner. I believe it’s nothing more than a faux effort meant to quiet some of the fans by giving them the impression that they tried, oh they tried, but, as usual, we couldn’t compete with the big, bad, big-market teams who, boo hoo, have all the money and we’re nothin’ but po folk…….

6. smokehouse - Dec 17, 2009 at 11:07 AM

The O’s are a laughing stock. They are not a serious baseball operation. If I lived in Baltimore, a wonderful city, I wouldn’t spend a dime to see any O’s games. What a waste of the most beautiful stadium in all of baseball.

7. AJ Gallo - Dec 17, 2009 at 11:12 AM

So true. And Camden Yards and the surrounding Inner Harbor are definitely great!

8. APBA Guy - Dec 17, 2009 at 11:31 AM

As the readers of Craig’s old blog know, I grew up watching the O’s before I moved West and adopted the beloved A’s. My first trip to Baltimore at age 8 was to see the 1960 Yankees play the O’s (it wasn’t a pretty sight then, either, for the hometown fans) at Memorial stadium.
    That said, the O’s are doing this year with Holliday (and Gonzalez) what they did with Texeira last year.
    It’s a beautiful stadium. It’s a wonderful city. The fans there are great, and they’d come out in big numbers for a good team (or to celebrate Angelos selling the team).
    But there is no way any premium free agent is going to sign up for a below market offer to lose consistently and hopelessly like he will if he spends time on the Orioles.
    And to get Adrian, they’d have to part with at least one of their promising pitchers, Tillman or Matusz, plus a couple of near major league ready guys. Which would then mean more losing down the road.
    As long as Angelos maintains his ownership position, 4th in the AL East is as good as it gets.

9. ecp - Dec 17, 2009 at 11:35 AM

I tend to agree with you, AJ Gallo. The Orioles do this every year (remember Mark Teixeira last winter?): present an offer to a big name free agent knowing that they will not be successful in a seeming effort to keep fans somewhat appeased.
    As for Adrian Gonzalez, I think he would cost them more than they want to trade…like Matt Wieters.

10. AJ Gallo - Dec 17, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Ecp, absolutely, and that’s why the Orioles conduct their business the way they do. They don’t want to lay out the bucks it would require to bring in some of these expensive free agents. They’d rather stick with the inexpensive young talent, play them for a couple of years, do the best they can with them, and then when develop into excellent ballplayers and are ready for the big contract themselves, they’ll either get traded away or let go to free agency. And then they’ll start the same cycle over and over again.

11. Ladyfan - Dec 17, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Oh wow, I sure hope some of this is true. As a lifelong Red Sox fan, I have a great fondness for the Orioles, and their fans, as well as beautiful Camden Yards. As one reader said, what a waste of a wonderful field – please please, management, do make SOME changes so that the Orioles have a fighting chance! There are some very classy guys on that team that deserve it! And a lot of fans who would be thrilled, including some of us Sox fans! We tend to call Baltimore the Red Sox Annex, but I for one would be very happy to have your fans outnumber us this season. And I would, of course, not be the LEAST disappointed if neither the Sox nor the Yankees got AGonz – even I get tired of us being the only teams in contention for the expensive, better players.

12. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 17, 2009 at 12:47 PM

THE ORIOLES ARE A MINOR LEAGUE TEAM, RIGHT?

13. Jon - Dec 17, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Ahem–GO EFF YOURSELF!!!

14. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 17, 2009 at 12:51 PM

IF NOT FOR THE FACT YANKEE FANS CAN GET PLENTY OF TICKETS TO WATCH THE YANKEES AT CAMDEN WHAT ARE THE ORIOLES GOOD FOR, REALLY, WHAT?
    ANGELOS IS ONLY INTERESTED IN HIS QUEST FOR DENYONG ANYTHING TO THE NATIONALS THAT HE THINKS COULD HURT HIS MONEY MAKING AGENDA.

15. Fecteau - Dec 17, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Hey, this is a great place for Red Sox to see all but guaranteed victories… Now that I live in Richmond VA, its a lot closer than Boston, the tickets are so much cheaper that its cheaper for Boston natives to go down for the weekend and stay in a hotel rather than pay for Fenway tickets, and yes, it also is a beautiful park…

16. Tony A - Dec 17, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Here in So Fla, we call that particular way of doing business the “Marlins Model for Mediocrity”…

17. Ladyfan - Dec 17, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Toy, why are you raising your voice? And you made my point FOR me. It would be much more fun if the division was more evenly talented. Oh . . .but then, your team would actually have to show up at the ballpark at the games that aren’t against the Sox. Hmmm. I can see where that would cut into their golf time . . . .

18. Ladyfan - Dec 17, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Jon, what did you just accomplish? was there even a point to your crass comment? If there was, perhaps you make it in a way that is actually pertinent to the discussion. Or, was this actually your best shot?

19. LLOsFn - Dec 17, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I hate Boston fans being at Camden. When I was a kid, any Yankee fan or Boston fan would never even wear a team hat in Baltimore for fear of losing it. Every team has peaks and valleys. Ten plus years of losing is enough. The O’s were the winningest team, as far as record, from the late sixties to the mid eighties. Bring back the glory Angelos.

20. AJ Gallo - Dec 17, 2009 at 9:22 PM

I don’t know what your problem is, but you can bite me……..

21. Kennith Amero - Feb 9, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Without doubt agree with what you stated. Your reason was by far the easiest to understand. I say to you, I often get annoyed when people talk about issues that they plainly don’t know about. You were able to hit the nail right on the head and also explained out everything without complication. Maybe, other folks can take a cue. Will likely be back to get more. Keep writing!

22. Darrel Macbean - Feb 9, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Hi there, nice site with good info. I really like coming back here often. There’s only one thing that annoys me and that is the misfunctioning of comment posting. I usually get to 500 error page, and have to do the post twice.

23. online stock trading - Feb 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Hey, I read a lot of blogs on a daily basis and for the most part, people lack substance but, I just wanted to make a quick comment to say GREAT blog!…..I”ll be checking in on a regularly now….Keep up the good work! :)

24. Dominique Kirstein - Feb 19, 2010 at 6:11 AM

Very interesting way to market on facebook. I also found a way to automate several very powerful methods of getting users. You can harvest ID by groups or pages or wall posts with this software. Then once you have them you can do a friend add to your user ID or sudo profile. This by passes the captcha codes too. There is also a cool chat program that you can setup scripts and keyword to work with. This program, when I use it I can see a spike in my site traffic. It is sweet…

25. Darrell Holroyd - Feb 24, 2010 at 6:34 AM

Heya i got to your site by mistake when i was searching bing for something off topic here but i do have say your site is really helpful, like the theme and the content on here…so thanks for me procrastinating from my previous task, lol

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3722)