Dec 17, 2009, 10:20 AM EDT
The New York Post reports that the Yankees are talking to former Expo Nick Johnson (we must mention the Expos whenever possible lest they slip from our collective consciousness forever) to be their DH. The thinking is that if he signs on for that gig, Johnny Damon becomes an afterthought, because there won’t be a DH slot to cycle him through in order to give some playing time to Melky and Gardner and that gang.
I don’t think that having Johnson means that the door is closed on Damon — the Yankees haven’t been reported to be thinking that Damon would spend a ton of time DHing, and having both of hem in the fold would make for a very, very nice offense — but bringing him in would bring even more pressure to bear on Damon and Boras.
And while we’re on the subject of Nick Johnson — who could probably be had for sub-Matsui money — allow me to urge the General Manager of my Atlanta Braves to cut this whole conversation short by signing Johnson and his .400 OBP and giving him the first base job. It would be nice to have a guy who could take a walk and be on base for Chipper Jones and Brian McCann once in a while, mmmkay?
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)