Dec 17, 2009, 2:20 PM EDT
This morning we passed along word that the Orioles are getting into the Matt Holliday bidding. If they are, they’re doing it kind of like how I write in insanely low bids at silent auctions in the almost non-existent chance that I’ll get, say, an autographed team photo of the 1969 Seattle Pilots for ten bucks. In other words, with absolutely no hope of success:
The Orioles, according to sources, did have some discussions about
Holliday with agent Scott Boras during their negotiations regarding
Gonzalez. Any team would be interested in such a player, especially a
club with a glaring need for a right-handed power hitter. However, the
Orioles are quite realistic about their chances of landing Holliday.
And privately, they have no expectations whatsoever that Holliday will
be with the team next year.
Sorry O’s fans. But hey, at least it’s fun to say that your team is in on the action, right? It isn’t? Oh, well, sorry. Enjoy having Mike Gonzalez close for about three months until his arm falls off or something.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)