Dec 17, 2009, 2:20 PM EDT
This morning we passed along word that the Orioles are getting into the Matt Holliday bidding. If they are, they’re doing it kind of like how I write in insanely low bids at silent auctions in the almost non-existent chance that I’ll get, say, an autographed team photo of the 1969 Seattle Pilots for ten bucks. In other words, with absolutely no hope of success:
The Orioles, according to sources, did have some discussions about
Holliday with agent Scott Boras during their negotiations regarding
Gonzalez. Any team would be interested in such a player, especially a
club with a glaring need for a right-handed power hitter. However, the
Orioles are quite realistic about their chances of landing Holliday.
And privately, they have no expectations whatsoever that Holliday will
be with the team next year.
Sorry O’s fans. But hey, at least it’s fun to say that your team is in on the action, right? It isn’t? Oh, well, sorry. Enjoy having Mike Gonzalez close for about three months until his arm falls off or something.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 0
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 20
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)