Dec 17, 2009, 2:20 PM EST
This morning we passed along word that the Orioles are getting into the Matt Holliday bidding. If they are, they’re doing it kind of like how I write in insanely low bids at silent auctions in the almost non-existent chance that I’ll get, say, an autographed team photo of the 1969 Seattle Pilots for ten bucks. In other words, with absolutely no hope of success:
The Orioles, according to sources, did have some discussions about
Holliday with agent Scott Boras during their negotiations regarding
Gonzalez. Any team would be interested in such a player, especially a
club with a glaring need for a right-handed power hitter. However, the
Orioles are quite realistic about their chances of landing Holliday.
And privately, they have no expectations whatsoever that Holliday will
be with the team next year.
Sorry O’s fans. But hey, at least it’s fun to say that your team is in on the action, right? It isn’t? Oh, well, sorry. Enjoy having Mike Gonzalez close for about three months until his arm falls off or something.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 31
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)