Dec 18, 2009, 8:58 AM EDT
Angelswin.com (found via MLB.com) reports that the Angels are interested in Braves’ starter Javier Vazquez. That’s well and good, but the article only makes brief mention of Vazquez’s limited no trade clause that allows him to veto a deal to western division teams. A very personal clause for Vazquez, as the entire reason for it was just how miserable he was when he pitched for the Diamondbacks, rendering a flight back home to visit his family in Puerto Rico (and vice-versa) an all-day affair.
In light of that, one of Angelswin.com’s arguments — “It’s possible a contract extension could entice the Vazquez camp to waive the no trade clause to an AL or NL West club,” makes no sense. He wants no part of the west. If the NTC was gone and the trade was made, he’d immediately go back to the east once the contract expires at the end of next season.
Any Angels-Braves trade seems pretty hard to see happening right now. If, as reported on Tuesday, the Braves want the Angels to take Derek Lowe, they’re either going to have to pony up a lot of cash in the deal or accept Gary Matthews, Jr. in return, and no one really wants that. If the Braves want to land Juan Rivera and maybe another valuable player or prospect, they’d have to give up Vazquez, and that’s out of their control for the reasons stated above.
Time to look elsewhere, Atlanta. Heck, why not look within the division. If the Mets are willing to make a complicated trade for Bronson Arroyo, why not Derek Lowe? I mean, if you were worried about New York Met Derek Lowe coming back to bite you in the butt later, you wouldn’t be shopping him now anyway, would you?
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)