Dec 18, 2009, 8:58 AM EDT
Angelswin.com (found via MLB.com) reports that the Angels are interested in Braves’ starter Javier Vazquez. That’s well and good, but the article only makes brief mention of Vazquez’s limited no trade clause that allows him to veto a deal to western division teams. A very personal clause for Vazquez, as the entire reason for it was just how miserable he was when he pitched for the Diamondbacks, rendering a flight back home to visit his family in Puerto Rico (and vice-versa) an all-day affair.
In light of that, one of Angelswin.com’s arguments — “It’s possible a contract extension could entice the Vazquez camp to waive the no trade clause to an AL or NL West club,” makes no sense. He wants no part of the west. If the NTC was gone and the trade was made, he’d immediately go back to the east once the contract expires at the end of next season.
Any Angels-Braves trade seems pretty hard to see happening right now. If, as reported on Tuesday, the Braves want the Angels to take Derek Lowe, they’re either going to have to pony up a lot of cash in the deal or accept Gary Matthews, Jr. in return, and no one really wants that. If the Braves want to land Juan Rivera and maybe another valuable player or prospect, they’d have to give up Vazquez, and that’s out of their control for the reasons stated above.
Time to look elsewhere, Atlanta. Heck, why not look within the division. If the Mets are willing to make a complicated trade for Bronson Arroyo, why not Derek Lowe? I mean, if you were worried about New York Met Derek Lowe coming back to bite you in the butt later, you wouldn’t be shopping him now anyway, would you?
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)