Jon Heyman: "mystery team" in the running for Bay

Dec 18, 2009, 8:22 AM EDT

SI’s Jon Heyman writes that, despite the fact that that all of the other teams that need a left fielder are not really interested in Jason Bay, there is a “mystery team” in the running for him, making life harder for the Mets.  At the risk of falling into conspiracy theory land, I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess that, even though he is not Bay’s agent, Scott Boras is inventing the “mystery team.”  My thinking:

• The Mets are widely reported to have focused on Bay over Holliday because they think he’ll be easier to sign;
  • Boras needs the Mets to jump into the Matt Holliday derby, because his dude needs to get paid crazy Omar money or at the very least needs to use them to leverage the Cardinals;
  • By creating a rumor of a “mystery team,” the only advantage Bay has over Holliday — his alleged signability — is neutralized, thereby making Holliday more appealing to the Mets.

So that’s my theory. The mystery team is a fantasy.  And you can’t doubt me on that. I got it from an anonymous source whose identity is, like, a total mystery.

1. HP3 - Dec 18, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Is Heyman on Scottie wotty do do’s payroll? This isn’t the first time Heyman has reported a “mystery” team out there for a Boras client that isn’t getting the offers that Boras wants.
    I think Mr. Calcaterra should go back to referring Jon Heyman as “Lord Hee-Haw.”

2. Eat a Peach - Dec 18, 2009 at 8:46 AM

I’ve been thinking all along that the Mariners were going to jump in, especially after Bay offered to take less money and streak the quad, Frank-the-Tank style if they’d bring him closer to home.
    But enjoy your little conspiracy theories. Can you blog on an old manual typewriter?

3. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 18, 2009 at 8:46 AM

To be fair, Bay isn’t a Boras client. His competition — Matt Holliday — is.
    I’m aware of the Heyman-is-Boras’-shill notion floating around. He’s certainly a frequent source, and I’ve had a lot of fun with it myself over the years (the Lord Haw-Haw stuff) included. Still, I think it’s a little more complicated than that. Heyman has other sources, and he reports stuff that isn’t Boras stuff. He still has a lot of New York sources specifically, and it’s entirely possible, if not probable, that even if my theory here is true, Heyman is hearing it from non-Boras sources.

4. metsstem - Dec 18, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I think the mystery team is Seattle. Just like they were the last to announce their involvement with the Halladay-Lee deal.
    Mets should be concentrating on Mike Jacobs, Vlad Guerrero and Delgado to be the power bats. One guy is not going to get it done.

5. summerof67 - Dec 18, 2009 at 10:40 AM

This would not be the first time that Borat – er, Boras – has invented a team with mysterious interest in a client. I seem to recall that there was a ghost team interested in Damon the last time he was a free agent, eventually taking him from the Red Sox and landing him in the Bronx. And the fact that so many teams are skeptical of Bay gives credence to the Red Sox and their determination of Bay’s abilities.

6. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 18, 2009 at 10:46 AM

THE MYSTERY TEAM WILL ALSO SIGN JOHNNY DAMON, OMAR WILL NOT BE DRINKING ANY SCOTT BORAS KOOL-AID, HE SPOKE TO CASH-MAN.

7. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 18, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Mike Jacobs, Vlad Guerrero and Delgado ??
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME WITH THIS GROUP, THE LAST TWO WILL
    NEED A SHOT OF GERETOL EVERY MORNING AND JACOBS IS A
    LIABILITY ANYWHERE NEAR A BASEBALL DIAMOND.

8. militarymanmc - Dec 18, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Hey Tiger’s Beeotch…stop using caps you’re making an a$$ of yourself…again.

9. DWrek - Dec 18, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Remember when Manny had a 4 year offer last off season from a “mystery team”. Wonder why he didnt take it…

10. John Pileggi - Dec 18, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Boras is having troubles getting the really big deal he anticipated for Holliday. Give the guy credit for working hard for his client. But, this time the market is now there. Yanks and Sox went in another direction and so there are limits in light of enhanced quality next year.

11. aaronp - Dec 18, 2009 at 4:24 PM

I could see this actually being true… I could see it being SF Giants… They were saying they would spend some money, and they really haven’t signed anyone of substance, matter of fact I don’t think they have signed anyone…

12. SHOE LIFTS - Jan 29, 2010 at 2:55 PM

height insoles are wedge-shaped inserts which fit in the heel portion of a shoe, with the purpose of adding elevation under one or both feet for therapeutic purposes. People who endure foot pain whilst wearing shoes for an extended time. height insoles can reduce pain. Shoe inserts are also great for people who wish to increase their height.

13. SHOE LIFTS - Jan 29, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Shoe lifts are wedge-shaped inserts that fit in the heel portion of a shoe, with the intention of adding lift beneath one or both feet for therapeutic reasons. Those who endure foot pain whilst wearing shoes for a long time. Heel lifts can alleviate suffering. Heel lifts are also perfect for those who would like to increase their height.

14. Francene Buddemeyer - Feb 3, 2010 at 6:29 PM

This is a great site, I usually don’t comment on blogs but I felt the need to on this blog. You have done a great job and I have a site I hope you would visit in return. Cheers!

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3792)