Dec 18, 2009, 2:55 PM EDT
Jose Arredondo is having a rough week.
First it was announced that he’ll need Tommy John elbow surgery, which will keep him out for the entire 2010 season. Following that news the Angels non-tendered him, dropping Arredondo from the 40-man roster. And now he’s apparently been stabbed. Seriously.
Prior to being non-tendered Arredondo angered the Angels by returning to his home in the Dominican Republic against the team’s wishes. Once there he reportedly was stabbed in the left arm, with his former agent saying that “it wasn’t that serious.”
Details after that are sketchy so far, but based on Sam Miller of the Orange County Register doing some nifty translating of Spanish-language reports Arredondo may have been attending some sort of party at a car wash, which is apparently something that goes on in San Pedro de Marcoris. TGIF, I guess.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)