Mariners fans like the Bradley trade

Dec 18, 2009, 3:20 PM EDT

Due to the vagaries of geography and time zones and stuff, we easterners don’t get to hear a lot about what happens in Seattle. Oh, we get the big stories: Ichiro is good, Steve Largent has sure hands, the Denny Party has found a new place to settle — but the little stuff often escapes our attention.  Stuff like just how bad Carlos Silva is and just how much Mariners fans hate him.

How much do they hate him? The Mariners just traded for baseball’s problem child, and as of 3PM this afternoon, Seattle Times readers are 91%-9% in favor of the deal. Granted, this is not a scientific sampling, but if anything, the sorts of people who click on Internet polls should skew more in favor of the “Milton-Bradley-is-a-bum” talk radio crowd than it does towards people who analyze baseball objectively and thus might realize that Bradley has some basic value.  Heck, I’d at least expect this to be a 60-40 thing.

At some point, some Cubs fans are going to try and talk themselves into believing that having Carlos Silva on the team is a good thing.  Before they do, they might want to talk to some Mariners fans first, because they prefer Bradley at a ten-to-one clip.

1. Dylan - Dec 18, 2009 at 3:44 PM

I would guess that, on the whole, Mariners fans are some of the most intelligent baseball fans out there.

2. Alex K - Dec 18, 2009 at 3:46 PM

I refuse to believe that I will EVER talk myself into Carlos Silva. The only thing I like about this deal is the $6 million extra that the Cubs get.
    Yeah, the M’s wanted Silva gone so bad they paid the difference in the contracts AND an extra $6 million.

3. Erik - Dec 18, 2009 at 4:07 PM

6 Mill??? who cares about 6 mill? it’s not my money.
    i’m just glad that slob Silva isn’t pitching every 5th day for us. I’ll gladly take anything off the cubs hands, especially a guy that can actually play baseball.
    granted, he might have a bad attitude, but i don’t have to deal with it. if he can contribute anything close to what he did in texas, i’ll take it.
    cub’s players beware. make sure you hit the buffet line before Silva or there might be nothing left.
    Another bad contract off our hands, one of the last from the dreaded Bavasi era. Yay!

4. hop - Dec 18, 2009 at 4:21 PM

M’s fans are thrilled with Bradley? Great lets see what they think when he blows up in that clubhouse! Also the M’s still haven’t addresses their lack of offense, they already had good pitching last year and still couldnt win and unless they add a couple of bats to this lineup they better get used to not making the playoffs again in “10

5. Alex K - Dec 18, 2009 at 4:30 PM

I’m not sure if you read my comment right….I, as a Cubs fan, DON’T want Silva. The only thing I like is the extra money for the Cubs.

6. Erik - Dec 18, 2009 at 4:39 PM

i figured that much. i’m just not sure why you care, as a fan, that the cubs are getting 6 Million back in the deal. the cubs will need that 6 Mill to pay for all the food that Silva eats.

7. Ross - Dec 18, 2009 at 5:05 PM

You apparently haven’t noticed the size of Zambrano. We’ve already got the food budget down pat. I will take $6 million and a stupidly expensive at-best 5th starter who can’t actually pitch over Milton Bradley and his mother. Yes, I do include her as part of this deal.
    I’m not saying I like the deal, but we weren’t ever going to get anything other than someone else’s bad contract in return.

8. unicorns! - Dec 18, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Yeah i don’t many actual Cubs fans are ever going to be getting behind this one… it was management and racists that hated Bradley, not the rest of us. He was one of my favorite players on the team.

9. Ron - Dec 18, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Milton if you are reading this I am very happy for you. Seattle is an environment where you will thrive, and 2010 will be a wonderful year for you, the club, and the city.

10. Dalton - Dec 19, 2009 at 1:31 AM

Getting Carlos Silva out of town is a major plus. If Bradley produces for Seattle without problems, it’s a huge win for the Mariners. If he doesn’t they cut him and it is a relatively small loss. A good gamble.
    Having said that, I have to add that Jack Zdurencik seems bound and determined to get rid of every questionable Bill Bavasi recruit in the organization. Mostly that’s excellent thinking, but I hope he idsn;t hung up on purging purely for the sake of have his own guys instead of Bavasi’s.

11. Tony A - Dec 19, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Interesting take on the situation… I have always thought that Bradley represented an interesting and potent offensive addition to a lineup, even with his other “offensive” qualities, so long as he was being used properly. Suspect that it wasn’t just the club management and racists that were anti-Bradley, but many of the rank-and-file fans that have swallowed the koolaid provided by MLB that the players are the problem. Possible that this same group may be the ones to scream the loudest when they realize what they’ve done…

Three legends off to Cooperstown