Roy Halladay left a lot of money on the table

Dec 18, 2009, 8:00 AM EDT

Yesterday I noted that Roy Halladay’s 9 year-old son is the one who allegedly pulled the trigger on the deal sending him to Philly and agreeing to the contract extension.  According to Baseball Prospectus’ Joe Sheehan, little Braden Halladay really made a bad deal:

The story here is that one of the best players in baseball took
somewhere between 35-50 percent of his market value to facilitate a
trade, leaving somewhere between $60 and $100 million in guaranteed
money on the table. This is a staggering upset, one for which there is
virtually no comparison in baseball history.

I’m glad I read this. I was about ready to hire Braden to negotiate my extension with NBC.

1. Mark - Dec 18, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Sometimes its not about the money! At this point what difference does 20 mil a year mean from 30 mil a year. Either way after one year of the contract he is set for life and so are his kids. Not to mention all he has made in Toronto and will make on the rest of his contract. If I was him I would have said sign me for 10 mil keep Lee and lets make this a Dynasty!

2. Jonny5 - Dec 18, 2009 at 8:44 AM

As I said before. Halladay wanted to be a Phillie. This is the battle between Good and Evil. The Force is strong with this one, He won’t bend to join the “dark side” (Enter star wars theme track). It is more important for him to be on the good guys team ,With Luke (Utley) and Yoda (Charlie Manuel)And Obi won Konobe (Moyer). He wants to win, but win against the dark forces lurking in NY. Look, he figured he doesn’t need to pad his bank account with all those extra Millions, he needs to be in a ball club who is known for having a great group of guys who aren’t a bunch of Primadonnas. There obviously was only one team he wanted to be on. I think he did a favor to both teams with this trade,the prospects he drew for Toronto was his way of saying thanks. All around good guy is all he is.

3. Eat a Feesh - Dec 18, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Here with the early a.m. Gator Report: At least he didn’t defect to the Borg. In fact, he seems to have positioned himself to fight the Borg for the next couple of World Series.

4. Stultus Magnus - Dec 18, 2009 at 8:50 AM

I think that Halladay realized a huge extension would be unlikely with the prospects the Jays were looking for. It just shows one how badly he wanted out of Toronto, he didn’t want to wait around another year. It also is a statement, I think, to his confidence. He believes he won’t be on his last legs 4-5 years from now and could still command a decent contract.

5. APBA Guy - Dec 18, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I’m not sure where in Florida Roy lives, I wonder if it’s in Jonny Damon’s (and Tiger’s) neighborhood?
    I bring this up because I think in 2014, when Roy’s $ 20M option year is over and he is looking at his last major league deal, he could have a ring or two to show for his time in Philly, and still may have 2-3 years left to contribute to an MLB team somewhere.
    Jonny already has 2 rings of course. But he hasn’t learned what Roy’s 9 year old seems to understand. Once you have enough money to be financially secure, you have the freedom to choose happiness. Jonny chose greed instead.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5108)