Scott Boras "caved on the third year" for Johnny Damon, but it was too little too late

Dec 18, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT

That’s what Mark Feinsand of the Daily News reports, however it still wasn’t enough to get a deal done for Damon as the Yankees wouldn’t pay him $13 million per, even for two years.

Assuming this is true, this is a case of Boras seriously misreading the market for his client, and ultimately doing him a disservice. Damon wanted nothing more than to play for the Yankees, telling Feinsand “I’m not quite sure what I’m going to do. I know there
are some teams interested, but the Yankees are the best organization
I’ve been a part of so far in my career.” No one, outside of Scott Boras, believed that Johnny Damon was worth more than a two year deal. While it was too much to expect the Yankees to negotiate hard on a two year basis at the 11th hour, isn’t it highly likely that something could have gotten worked out if Boras had gone to Brian Cashman talking about two years a week or two ago?

Now it’s almost certainly elsewhere for Damon. Maybe he’ll get that $13 million. I doubt it, but it could happen.  But that’s cold comfort when he so obviously wanted to stay in pinstripes.

1. GimmeSomeSteel - Dec 18, 2009 at 10:08 AM

I weep for Damon. He’s been dealt with so unfairly by his teams and his agent.
    OTOH, it’s nice to see Boras get it in the a** for once.

2. YankeesfanLen - Dec 18, 2009 at 10:13 AM

As you say, this is a severe miscalculation by both Boras and Damon, both of whom should know better. However, until Johnny signs elsewhere, I will maintain hope that he will be back, somewhere at or just above Abreu’s terms.
    And I’m still somewhat surprised that Johnson was hired as DH, not because of his abilities, but because the position did not have to be filled.
    From a couple of days ago, Posada should STFU. Let him manage, honorarily, for the last home game and he wants to take over.

3. Jonny5 - Dec 18, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Hmmm ?why not just try to get your client the best deal from the team he want’s to be a part of most??? I don’t know, I think this kind of stinks. Is it really that important to get that couple of extra million dollars to be left out in the cold. Damon will end up accepting a very similar deal the Yankees offered, but from a team he doesn’t really want to be a part of. That stinks. Sometimes Boras just goes too far. Thank god he isn’t Halladays agent. I feel he cons some players into doing the wrong thing all for a couple extra $$$$ for himself.

4. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 18, 2009 at 10:21 AM

I posted several times, “Johnny, PLEASE lay off the Scott Boras
    Kool-Aid” but he didn’t listen, now LQQK at what has happened.
    CASH-MAN will not be HELD HOSTEGE by Boras, he WALKED AWAY FROM
    A-ROD, Hank Steinbrenner worked with A-Rod on the extension.
    CASH-MAN has no use for Boras, you can’t blame the Yankees for
    DRIVING salaries up.
    Buh Bye

5. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 18, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Tex can get some DH, that is why Matsui was left to walk, ALL
    the guy’s can rotate in the DH SPOT AND STAY fresh. GOOD MOVE.

6. Stultus Magnus - Dec 18, 2009 at 10:30 AM

It was the right move, I’m glad to have Nick back. The only scenario that I wanted Damon for was one or two years at 7 million per and that wasn’t going to happen. 13 million per year for a player like Damon is way too much, never mind multiple years at that price.
    I’m sure he’ll be missed in the clubhouse though…

7. John_Michael - Dec 18, 2009 at 10:33 AM

It’s Boras’s job to get the biggest contract for his clients. If Damon was willing to take a hometown discount, then it’s his fault for not communicating that with his agent. Now, if Boras didn’t negotiate with Damon’s best interests in mind, i.e. staying in NY, then Damon should fire him.
    And if you find a con man that “cons” you into getting more money, please give them my name/contact info.

8. kc55 - Dec 18, 2009 at 10:42 AM

How can the Skanks let an arm like that get away?

9. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Dec 18, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Couldn’t have said it better myself, but unfortunately, due to the seemingly backalley-esc way these reports are sent out, we never really know what’s been offered.
    I know personally, if I were in these guys situations, I’d want to be apprised off all possible contract offers, because sometimes you may want to take a discount to play for a preferred team (As Johnny5 mentions). Too often it seems like the players just want to sit the negotiations out and let the agents handle everything.

10. Jonny5 - Dec 18, 2009 at 10:48 AM

GREED!!! I agree Damon is the one who has to live it. He should be able to make his own choice here. I guess i don’t understand how a million here or a million there would be a deal breaker in this case. These guys are going to be set for life for playing a great game. I’d sacrifice to stick by the team I choose. I do think Boras does sway his clients for the almighty dollar. I also think If, a huge if btw, he gets the contract and dollar he wanted, he’ll be unhappy where he lands. Seriously Damon could have blown it and may not do better by another team. Who will pay you more than the NY Yankees??? I don’t think such a thing exists.

11. John Willumsen - Dec 18, 2009 at 11:20 AM

I, for one, would still be very surprised if Damon doesn’t return to the Yankees next season. It behooves both the team and the player to suggest to the media that they are moving on, but ultimately Damon isn’t as valuable to any other team as he is to the Yankees. For one thing, the marginal value of a win is higher for the Yankees because of the division they play in and the number of wins they expect to collect (wins 85-90 are more valuable than 80-90, 90-95 > 85-90, 95-100 > 90-95 etc etc) and because of the dimensions and wind patterns of the new Stadium. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Yankees covet Carl Crawford and would like to put Damon in left this year, and then move him to DH next year when Johnson moves on and they try to sign Crawford. My guess is he signs for 2 years at $9 million per, with some escalators thrown in to limit his ire at taking a pay cut.

12. Dalton - Dec 18, 2009 at 11:41 AM

I’ve long taken special interest the negotiating tactics of Scott Boras, and I believe he puts maxing the contract over the wishes of his client. IMHO, if Damon wanted to keep his pinstripes, his best move would have to be to get a new agent.

13. YANKEES1996 - Dec 18, 2009 at 11:43 AM

We all warned you Johnny to put Scott Boras on a short leash, did you not learn anything from the A-Rod debacle a couple of years ago? Now you wanted to play for the Bombers and Scott Boras has s*** all over that idea. Can you and Boras really be serious about 13 million per season at your age and in a limited playing role? I told you Johnny to take a 2 year deal at a fair price and move on, but NO you just had to ruin your chances by listening to Boras. If you really want to play for the Yankees I would suggest you do the same thing A-Rod did and take control of your own career and reach out to Cash and the Yankees, otherwise Boras is going to have you playing for some second rate team in a city you don’t want to be in for 3 or 4 years and the end of your career is going to suck! I hate to say it but “WE ALL TOLD YOU SO”!!

14. Bobby D - Dec 18, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Damon should have learned something from Scottso’s handling of the Jason Veritek situation. Tek had to eat $10 million and a heaping helping of humble pie. Johnny…you’re still an idiot.

15. gfd - Dec 18, 2009 at 11:56 AM

See what happens when you’re blinded by money,Johnny? You admit the Yankees are a great organization, yet money is the issue. So go uproot your family chasing the money,you can’t help it your a greedy mercenary!

16. Paul Lewis - Dec 18, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Bottom line — Johnny, if there were things more important to you than the almighty dollar, you shouldn’t have hired Boras to be your agent in the first place. C’mon, we all know what he is — and so did you. You’re not that naive. Now, you have no right to complain.
    But you still have one last chance….Just lower your per year number from $13m to $10-11m for 2 years — that should get it done. Yanks can always put you in left, make Melky 4th OF, and trade Gardner. And when Nick Johnson has his obligatory injury, you can get to DH a bunch as well. Sounds like about 500 PAs to me — not bad for a 36 year old. So tell Scott to f*** off and take the deal Cash wants to give you.

17. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Dec 18, 2009 at 12:57 PM

The Varitek “negotiations” were a joke because, unlike Damon, Varitek is a terrible hitter (

18. AJ Gallo - Dec 18, 2009 at 1:51 PM

I’m going to also add my non-sympathy for Johnny Damon. Sure, I would have loved to have had him back. But Damon is getting exactly what he asked for. He’s the one who allowed his dirtbag agent to first demand a four-year contract. And he’s the one who just the other day told the Yankees not to offer a contract unless it was for at least $13 million per. Well, even if they caved and agreed to a two-year deal, the Yanks weren’t going to pay him $26 million. Johnny, you should go kick Boras square in the ass, then go kick yourself in the ass too.

19. SC - Dec 18, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Johnny isn’t the only player Boras is going to end up hurting this winter. Teams aren’t playing his waiting games this time around, and are spending the money they would have spent for his players on other people. See: Beltre / Holliday.

20. IdahoMariner - Dec 18, 2009 at 4:57 PM

and this is why I don’t like Boras. Not because he tries to get the most cash for his clients, but because he so rarely seems to act in their actual interest, as opposed to just trying to get the most cash. Yeah, they want cash, but some of them have other concerns (like playing for a team that they enjoy playing for) — but those concerns don’t translate into cash for Boras, so…poor Johnny.

21. AJ Gallo - Dec 18, 2009 at 6:53 PM

I couldn’t agree more………………………

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3937)