Dec 18, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
That’s what Mark Feinsand of the Daily News reports, however it still wasn’t enough to get a deal done for Damon as the Yankees wouldn’t pay him $13 million per, even for two years.
Assuming this is true, this is a case of Boras seriously misreading the market for his client, and ultimately doing him a disservice. Damon wanted nothing more than to play for the Yankees, telling Feinsand “I’m not quite sure what I’m going to do. I know there
are some teams interested, but the Yankees are the best organization
I’ve been a part of so far in my career.” No one, outside of Scott Boras, believed that Johnny Damon was worth more than a two year deal. While it was too much to expect the Yankees to negotiate hard on a two year basis at the 11th hour, isn’t it highly likely that something could have gotten worked out if Boras had gone to Brian Cashman talking about two years a week or two ago?
Now it’s almost certainly elsewhere for Damon. Maybe he’ll get that $13 million. I doubt it, but it could happen. But that’s cold comfort when he so obviously wanted to stay in pinstripes.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (187)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)