Dec 18, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
That’s what Mark Feinsand of the Daily News reports, however it still wasn’t enough to get a deal done for Damon as the Yankees wouldn’t pay him $13 million per, even for two years.
Assuming this is true, this is a case of Boras seriously misreading the market for his client, and ultimately doing him a disservice. Damon wanted nothing more than to play for the Yankees, telling Feinsand “I’m not quite sure what I’m going to do. I know there
are some teams interested, but the Yankees are the best organization
I’ve been a part of so far in my career.” No one, outside of Scott Boras, believed that Johnny Damon was worth more than a two year deal. While it was too much to expect the Yankees to negotiate hard on a two year basis at the 11th hour, isn’t it highly likely that something could have gotten worked out if Boras had gone to Brian Cashman talking about two years a week or two ago?
Now it’s almost certainly elsewhere for Damon. Maybe he’ll get that $13 million. I doubt it, but it could happen. But that’s cold comfort when he so obviously wanted to stay in pinstripes.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (103)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional