Dec 18, 2009, 4:34 PM EDT
Chicago had been waiting to move Milton Bradley before bringing in someone else to take his place in the outfield. Now they’ve moved Bradley, and according to Dallas Morning News blogger Evan Grant, they’re close to signing Marlon Byrd.
Grant says what a lot of others have said: the Cubs were interested in both Byrd and Mike Cameron, but lost out on Cameron to the Sox while trying to peddle Bradley. Why they didn’t just go after Cameron as a first priority makes no sense to me, because he’s better than Byrd by just about every measure, most especially in terms of defense and, you know, not being a creation of the Ballpark at Arlington like Byrd is.
And with Carlos Silva in town, aren’t you gonna want someone in the outfield to chase down all of those liners off the wall?
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 4
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 18
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 8
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)