The Cubs are close to signing Marlon Byrd

Dec 18, 2009, 4:34 PM EDT

Chicago had been waiting to move Milton Bradley before bringing in someone else to take his place in the outfield. Now they’ve moved Bradley, and according to Dallas Morning News blogger Evan Grant, they’re close to signing Marlon Byrd.

Grant says what a lot of others have said: the Cubs were interested in both Byrd and Mike Cameron, but lost out on Cameron to the Sox while trying to peddle Bradley. Why they didn’t just go after Cameron as a first priority makes no sense to me, because he’s better than Byrd by just about every measure, most especially in terms of defense and, you know, not being a creation of the Ballpark at Arlington like Byrd is.

And with Carlos Silva in town, aren’t you gonna want someone in the outfield to chase down all of those liners off the wall?

1. Alex K - Dec 18, 2009 at 6:20 PM

What a shitty day to be a Cubs fan…..First Silva, then Byrd. What’s next? Are they going kick fan’s dogs now?

2. Joey B - Dec 18, 2009 at 7:04 PM

That’s the first thing I thought of. They really need a CF. Byrd isn’t bad, but I don’t think he’ll be the CF of the future for the Cubs, nor is he a kid. Hopefully for the Cubs, he’ll come a bit cheaper than Cameron, but as a RS fan, I would much rather have Cameron at $8M than Byrd at $6M.

3. Sai-Kit Hui - Dec 18, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Hopefully that means Washington would stop taking AB’s away from Nelson Cruz.

4. Max G - Dec 19, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Craig, I disagree that Marlon Byrd is necessarily a “creation of the Ballpark at Arlington.” Was Mark DeRosa a “creation of the Ballpark at Arlington” before we signed him? His first year with the Cubs was nearly identical to his last year at Arlington and the following year he had a career year AT WRIGLEY FIELD. Imagine that…
    Also, we could not sign Mike Cameron because we didn’t have the money to sign him. We had to free up salary by dumping Bradley before signing somebody else.
    I think the best option is to try and trade for Melky Cabrera.
    He’s a clutch hitter with incredible nicknames:
    The Melk Man, Melky Way Galaxy, and Melky Mantle. He’s also a witch hitter who could bat at the top of our order.
    We should all leave out some empty bottles and hope that the Melk Man shows up.

5. Dewey Puthoff - Feb 3, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Hello, great blog, I truly enjoyed reading this. This post gave me the momentum to try my own post, please see my post by clicking my name at the top of this article, thank you

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3354)