The Phillies exercise Jimmy Rollins' option for 2011

Dec 18, 2009, 5:10 PM EDT

It’s early to be doing this, but $8.5 million for Rollins is a really good deal, even if he’s not the player he was a couple of years ago. FanGraphs’ magic-player-value-contraption has him being worth north of $10 million in 2009, and that was probably his worst year since he became a regular, at least with the bat.

He’s likely to be better than that in 2010 and probably 2011 too, and he’s a popular team captain, so why not exercise the option now?

1. Neon Noodle - Dec 18, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Did they give a reason for renewing it now? What if Rollins decides to go to a Car Wash party in the DR? Or do they have that in part of his “Jeff Kent” rules:
    1. I will not drive a motorcycle
    2. I will not skydive
    3. I will not attend car wash parties in the Dominican Republic
    4. I will not hang out with Plaxico Burress
    5. I will not cross Elin Nordgren
    etc..

2. Neon Noodle - Dec 18, 2009 at 5:25 PM

*Nordegren.
    Sorry Elin.

3. Dan Whitney - Dec 18, 2009 at 5:54 PM

I don’t know enough about Rollins to speculate on how he handles pressure but I imagine it’s a lot more comfortable an environment to have your option picked up this far in advance rather than playing out the year with every flubbed grounder or RISP strikeout being a strike against a contract renewal.

4. rob - Dec 18, 2009 at 5:56 PM

conversely, why do this now? i mean, you can plan on doing this. in fact, on whatever list ruben amaro has for things to do as soon as the 2010 season ends, this should be item 0. but why do it before the absolute last day you need to? every day this option is exercised early is a day of risk. why take ~1 year’s worth of risk here?

5. P90X Extreme - Jan 15, 2010 at 1:24 PM

My P90X DVD’s are so awesome!

6. wide screen portable dvd player - Feb 4, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Hey Just wanna leavea big thanks for this information – beside here is like 00:00 :D need to go to bed now – one more time thank you for this post. Keep it up – do not stop!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3360)