Dec 19, 2009, 11:39 AM EDT
Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes that Matt Holliday should learn a lesson from Johnny Damon’s negotiations with the Yankees:
As this drags on, we can only wonder if or when the Cardinals will
withdraw from the Holliday auction and redirect their money to other
players. Will Holliday lose out in St. Louis because of the same
negotiating tactics that pushed the Yankees away from Damon?
…It’s been reported that Holliday wants to stay in St. Louis. If that’s
the case, then when does he plan to take ownership of his career?
While Damon and Holliday share the
same agent, I see the two situations differently. The Yankees
were uncomfortable handing out a lucrative multi-year contract to a player who just
turned 36, while Holliday, the best player available this winter, doesn’t even turn 30 until January. As Albert Pujols weighs a contract extension, GM John Mozeliak needs this deal to get done. The Yankees didn’t.
related note, this morning Buster Olney of ESPN.com wrote that Damon would be a perfect fit for the Cardinals.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)