Dec 19, 2009, 11:39 AM EST
Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes that Matt Holliday should learn a lesson from Johnny Damon’s negotiations with the Yankees:
As this drags on, we can only wonder if or when the Cardinals will
withdraw from the Holliday auction and redirect their money to other
players. Will Holliday lose out in St. Louis because of the same
negotiating tactics that pushed the Yankees away from Damon?
…It’s been reported that Holliday wants to stay in St. Louis. If that’s
the case, then when does he plan to take ownership of his career?
While Damon and Holliday share the
same agent, I see the two situations differently. The Yankees
were uncomfortable handing out a lucrative multi-year contract to a player who just
turned 36, while Holliday, the best player available this winter, doesn’t even turn 30 until January. As Albert Pujols weighs a contract extension, GM John Mozeliak needs this deal to get done. The Yankees didn’t.
related note, this morning Buster Olney of ESPN.com wrote that Damon would be a perfect fit for the Cardinals.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)