Dec 19, 2009, 11:39 AM EDT
Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes that Matt Holliday should learn a lesson from Johnny Damon’s negotiations with the Yankees:
As this drags on, we can only wonder if or when the Cardinals will
withdraw from the Holliday auction and redirect their money to other
players. Will Holliday lose out in St. Louis because of the same
negotiating tactics that pushed the Yankees away from Damon?
…It’s been reported that Holliday wants to stay in St. Louis. If that’s
the case, then when does he plan to take ownership of his career?
While Damon and Holliday share the
same agent, I see the two situations differently. The Yankees
were uncomfortable handing out a lucrative multi-year contract to a player who just
turned 36, while Holliday, the best player available this winter, doesn’t even turn 30 until January. As Albert Pujols weighs a contract extension, GM John Mozeliak needs this deal to get done. The Yankees didn’t.
related note, this morning Buster Olney of ESPN.com wrote that Damon would be a perfect fit for the Cardinals.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (105)