The Mike Lowell trade is off

Dec 19, 2009, 9:22 PM EST

The Boston Herald’s Mike Silverman tweets that Mike Lowell needs thumb surgery and that the deal with the Rangers is dead. Rob Bradford of WEEI — not subject to 140 characters because he blogged it rather than tweeted it — says that it’s a torn radiall colateral ligament, that surgery will happen after Christmas, and that Lowell will need 6-8 weeks to recover.

More than killing a trade, one has to think that this really hampers the Sox’ plans to try and get a corner infielder.  Oh sure, they still could do it — they were ready to eat $9 million of Lowell’s contract in the trade, and that’s only a half a step away from releasing him — but it would make it much more difficult from a P.R. perspective.

1. Arendell - Dec 19, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Wow. I am pleased it is off (the trade). ( Big Lowell fan) There are better ways for boston to work around this. Lowell gets his Operation pushed back to after the first of the year. he reports on time to spring training as an injurded player. He is then placed on the 30 day or better DL. Medical ins. Must cover this. (his pay) He must stay on it till he is backin playing shape and done with minor league rehab. Say mid June July. someone else is hurt and is needed as a player. Big buck saveings, fans happy. Lowell get to play here till the end of contract. Theo may even be in a spot to get a drst pick or 2, Pull off a Mid summer trade for help if (when) needed.

2. YANKEESGODSTEAM - Dec 19, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Like i always say, Red Sox management is as retarded as there fans. How stupid to trade a guy without knowing he’s hurt. Just like Nomar retarded move. Check Lowell for weapons this year as he enters Fenway he might want to hurt somebody for embarrassing him as well as themselves. Don’t they strive for education in massachusettes? Why did all the stupid people wind up in Red Sox uniforms?
    Praise the Lord Praise the Yankees #28!

3. YANKEESGODSTEAM - Dec 19, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Praise the Lord Praise the Yankees #28!

4. eric - Dec 19, 2009 at 10:57 PM

sigh…
    not “try and”
    please.
    “try to.”

5. Dean Douglas - Dec 19, 2009 at 11:16 PM

It’s “their fans”, not “there fans”. You might want to know the basic rules of English before you make fun of someone else’s education.

6. Old Gator - Dec 19, 2009 at 11:18 PM

I will buy a horsemeat and velveeta sandwich for anyone who can spot all eight fundamental grammar, spelling, case and punctuation mistakes in Yankeesgodsteam’s post above. As a retired University English and composition instructor, I would have red inked this post, turned it back to him or her, and allowed till the next class meeting to return it, or I would have given it a D. Normally I don’t waste my time pointing out rhetorical pecadilloes like this, but when someone who lives in a very thin and brittle glass house starts throwing stones the size of the K/T asteroid around, I am compelled to act on my instincts.
    Eric: good eyes, Bubba.

7. Eat a Peach - Dec 20, 2009 at 5:31 AM

Mere grammatical errors don’t get at the heart of the unspeakable disgrace of this post. Posting the same thing twice by mistake is also a clear sign of a genius.
    I was going to point out everything wrong with this post, but I don’t think I can stomach a Horsemeat and Velveeta. You know, in France the Velveeta would be considered the disgusting part of that sandwich.

8. H R Coursen - Dec 20, 2009 at 11:55 AM

I come up with ten: As I (u.c.) their no verb in Nomar sentence
    Nomar is not the same as ‘move’ . H no antecedent for ‘themselves. M (u.c.) Lord period or exclamation point.
    At least the guy hasn’t got a passport so he can only embarrass himself in the Bronx.

9. Old Gator - Dec 20, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Which proves what? In France, Marilyn Monroe would have been considered the disgusting part of a Jerry Lewis movie.

10. Watch Free Movies Online - Jan 2, 2010 at 2:18 PM

This page wasnt working earlier i tried accesing it but it timed out 4-5 times now i can access it. Why Does this happen? Am i the only one having this issue?

11. acai berry - Jan 14, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Every now and then, I derived across some gems similar to this spot of yours. Brilliant that you came out with untold wonderful insights on such a awkward topic to speak about, be positive that I will be a steadfast reader and a serious RSS follower from your feeds. Thank you and have a nice day

12. acai berry - Jan 14, 2010 at 9:38 AM

I am grateful to visit this update, this is just what I want at this time around. I have been lingering so long in quest for solid informative material as of late and I haven’t make much time to actually get to one site or place in all, just your writing and style of pitch spoiled me away. I am instantly a happy reader and constant viewer of this website.

13. free online movies to watch now - Jan 16, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Hey, I just wanted to say what a good website. I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it entertaining reading. Awaiting your next post!

14. Lyman Locklin - Jan 18, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Improving fertility is not an impossible task. In fact, there is more than one method to increase male potency naturally and safely

15. watch free movies no download - Jan 26, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Hey, I just wanted to say what a quality website. I certainly enjoyed it and found it fascinating reading. Can’t wait for your next post!

16. Elisabeth Labella - Feb 3, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Hello, super article, I truly enjoyed reading this. the article gave me the kick to attempt my own blog, please check out my blog by clicking my name at the top of this post, Many thanks

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester