Dec 20, 2009, 9:02 AM EDT
According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, the Athletics are close to signing free agent outfielder Coco Crisp to a one-year contract worth between $4.5 million-5 million.
The Padres also expressed interest in the 30-year-old outfielder, but
Crisp elected to join Oakland’s crowded outfield, instead. I’m guessing
it’s for the contract security, which also reportedly includes an
option for 2011.
Crisp batted .228/.336/.378 with
three home runs, 14 RBI, 14 stolen bases and 30 runs scored in 49 games
for the Royals in ’09 before undergoing season-ending rotator cuff
surgery on both shoulders. He is expected to be ready in time for
spring training. Crisp is a .277/.331/.407 career hitter over eight
major league seasons.
It’s a pretty odd move by general
manager Billy Beane with Rajai Davis coming off a tremendous second
half and with plenty of quality outfielders already in the
organization. Crisp hasn’t played a single game outside center field
since 2005, so now Davis will likely move to a corner spot, with Scott
Hairston and Ryan Sweeney filling in around them.
Beane had talked about prospect Chris Carter playing some outfield,
but he may find himself back at first base after the signing of Crisp.
Don’t forget that the Athletics also traded Brett Wallace to the Blue
Jays in exchange for prospect outfielder Michael Taylor last week.
Taylor, 24, batted .282/.359/.491 with five home runs and 19 RBI in 128
at-bats at the Triple-A level last season and isn’t that far from making a splash
on the major league level. He’s almost surely destined to be a corner
outfielder, but hopefully Beane won’t block his progress.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 20
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 76
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (77)