Dec 20, 2009, 9:02 AM EST
According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, the Athletics are close to signing free agent outfielder Coco Crisp to a one-year contract worth between $4.5 million-5 million.
The Padres also expressed interest in the 30-year-old outfielder, but
Crisp elected to join Oakland’s crowded outfield, instead. I’m guessing
it’s for the contract security, which also reportedly includes an
option for 2011.
Crisp batted .228/.336/.378 with
three home runs, 14 RBI, 14 stolen bases and 30 runs scored in 49 games
for the Royals in ’09 before undergoing season-ending rotator cuff
surgery on both shoulders. He is expected to be ready in time for
spring training. Crisp is a .277/.331/.407 career hitter over eight
major league seasons.
It’s a pretty odd move by general
manager Billy Beane with Rajai Davis coming off a tremendous second
half and with plenty of quality outfielders already in the
organization. Crisp hasn’t played a single game outside center field
since 2005, so now Davis will likely move to a corner spot, with Scott
Hairston and Ryan Sweeney filling in around them.
Beane had talked about prospect Chris Carter playing some outfield,
but he may find himself back at first base after the signing of Crisp.
Don’t forget that the Athletics also traded Brett Wallace to the Blue
Jays in exchange for prospect outfielder Michael Taylor last week.
Taylor, 24, batted .282/.359/.491 with five home runs and 19 RBI in 128
at-bats at the Triple-A level last season and isn’t that far from making a splash
on the major league level. He’s almost surely destined to be a corner
outfielder, but hopefully Beane won’t block his progress.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27