Is Mark DeRosa a fit for the Mets at first base?

Dec 20, 2009, 3:54 PM EDT

In his weekly column for the Boston
Globe, Nick Cafardo reports that Mark DeRosa’s asking price — once in
the $10 million range —
has come down recently.
He follows that up with a pretty innocent statement that the Mets could
“pull the trigger and use him at first base.” This seems like pure
speculation on Cafardo’s part, not backed by any real information or
sources, but now that this specific passage has been noted in a few
places, the possibility should at least be addressed.

The Mets don’t make any sense for
DeRosa. In fact, any first baseman who craves regular playing time and
a multi-year contract doesn’t. The Mets seem committed to using Daniel
Murphy as part of a platoon at first base, ideally with a right-handed
hitting compliment, but possibly with Carlos Delgado on an
incentive-laden contract.

The Mets surely hope that whoever fills first
base in 2010 is a mere stopgap until Ike Davis arrives, possibly as
soon as next season. Davis, who turns 23 in March, batted
.298/.381/.524 with 20 home runs and 71 RBI in his first full
professional season in 2009, and was recently named the No. 4 prospect in the organization by Baseball America.

On top of all that, the 34-year-old DeRosa has only played 23 games at first base during his major league career. DeRosa is average or better in the
outfield, according to defensive metrics, but should the Mets sign
Jason Bay, as many expect they will, he wouldn’t find any regular
playing time there, either. DeRosa’s versatility is a huge reason why he is so coveted, but agent Keith Grunewald should be able to do better than the Mets, otherwise he has completely misread his client’s market.

1. john - Dec 20, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Ryan Garko seems to make more sense, unless they also use DeRosa in the OF part time. Moving DeRosa around would probably be better than targeting Bay.

2. Lionheart! - Dec 20, 2009 at 5:55 PM

The fact that they’re actually considering platooning Murphy indicates to me that they don’t believe in him, he won’t last too long with the Mets. Afterall, how is diminishing his playing time going to help at all?

3. D.J. Short - Dec 20, 2009 at 6:01 PM

He has a .732 OPS in 104 major league at-bats vs. lefties. It’s a small sample size, but it mirrors the .725 OPS against southpaws he put up in the minors. He can’t be a full-time first baseman, no matter how impressive he was with the glove in the latter part of ’09. Like him or not, he’s a man without a position.

4. Geek - Dec 20, 2009 at 10:54 PM

I have no faith in the baseball management judgement of the Mets.

5. Big Dave - Dec 21, 2009 at 11:50 AM

What Geek said.
    THAT said, I completely disagree. I think the Mets need a versatile player like DeRosa, who by all accounts is a solid clubhouse, team guy. I can see him playing LF, RF, some 3B (to rest Wright on occasion), and 1B, and he’d still get a ton of at-bats.
    I am ambivalent about Bay. We get him..fine. If not…fine. If it was up to me I’d go the route of signing DeRosa, and adding another back up outfielder (Gomes, Cust.. someone of that ilk). Forget Molina as well. I’d only want him for one year.
    One thing that the Mets have sorely lacked over the past few years is a decent bench. I’d like to see them take advantage of some of the non-tendered decent bats that are available and likely could be had inexpensively, in both money and years.

6. D.J. Short - Dec 21, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Big Dave,
    I don’t doubt that the Mets could find a way to use him, but there are many situations that would be more attractive to DeRosa. Unless the Mets completely overpay, I just don’t see him as a fit.

7. Erline Hochadel - Dec 29, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Well put job:D will definitely come back again soon=)

8. outbound call center - Jan 20, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I watch his play many times and he is greatly capable of that performance.

9. lance - Jan 20, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I think its not fair to judge a person in his action Personnel . Outbound call center still have time to watch this sports

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet