Dec 21, 2009, 8:28 AM EDT
The Cubs need a centerfielder. The Yankees arguably have an excess of centerfielders in Melky Cabrera, Brett Gardner and Curtis Granderson. I say “arguably” because as things currently stand one of those dudes has to play left. But the Yankees may or may not be done making moves this winter, they may still yet bring Johnny Damon back and they may yet emerge as a Matt Holliday suitor, so things are a bit fluid.
What this all means is some talk from Roger Rubin of the New York Daily News that the Yankees could ship either Cabrera or Gardner to Chicago for a pitcher. There’s not a ton to this — it’s all really based on FOX’s report that the Cubs have not, contrary to earlier reports, settled on Marlon Byrd, and are looking at other options. There’s a single line in the New York Post today saying that the Yankees have asked about Carlos Zambrano, but it doesn’t sound like (a) it was a really serious effort; or (b) that it is going anywhere.
But does it make any sense? I’d say sure, if the Yankees do decide to re-engage with Damon or move on Holliday that they may want to get something for one of their younger outfielders, but nothing that the Cubs could offer them in the way of pitching would seem to make it worthwhile.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 5
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 88
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)