Dec 21, 2009, 8:28 AM EDT
The Cubs need a centerfielder. The Yankees arguably have an excess of centerfielders in Melky Cabrera, Brett Gardner and Curtis Granderson. I say “arguably” because as things currently stand one of those dudes has to play left. But the Yankees may or may not be done making moves this winter, they may still yet bring Johnny Damon back and they may yet emerge as a Matt Holliday suitor, so things are a bit fluid.
What this all means is some talk from Roger Rubin of the New York Daily News that the Yankees could ship either Cabrera or Gardner to Chicago for a pitcher. There’s not a ton to this — it’s all really based on FOX’s report that the Cubs have not, contrary to earlier reports, settled on Marlon Byrd, and are looking at other options. There’s a single line in the New York Post today saying that the Yankees have asked about Carlos Zambrano, but it doesn’t sound like (a) it was a really serious effort; or (b) that it is going anywhere.
But does it make any sense? I’d say sure, if the Yankees do decide to re-engage with Damon or move on Holliday that they may want to get something for one of their younger outfielders, but nothing that the Cubs could offer them in the way of pitching would seem to make it worthwhile.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 13
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 41
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)