Dec 21, 2009, 8:28 AM EDT
The Cubs need a centerfielder. The Yankees arguably have an excess of centerfielders in Melky Cabrera, Brett Gardner and Curtis Granderson. I say “arguably” because as things currently stand one of those dudes has to play left. But the Yankees may or may not be done making moves this winter, they may still yet bring Johnny Damon back and they may yet emerge as a Matt Holliday suitor, so things are a bit fluid.
What this all means is some talk from Roger Rubin of the New York Daily News that the Yankees could ship either Cabrera or Gardner to Chicago for a pitcher. There’s not a ton to this — it’s all really based on FOX’s report that the Cubs have not, contrary to earlier reports, settled on Marlon Byrd, and are looking at other options. There’s a single line in the New York Post today saying that the Yankees have asked about Carlos Zambrano, but it doesn’t sound like (a) it was a really serious effort; or (b) that it is going anywhere.
But does it make any sense? I’d say sure, if the Yankees do decide to re-engage with Damon or move on Holliday that they may want to get something for one of their younger outfielders, but nothing that the Cubs could offer them in the way of pitching would seem to make it worthwhile.
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 0
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 19
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)