Dec 21, 2009, 12:57 PM EDT
By trading prospect Brett Wallace just months after getting him from the Cardinals for Matt Holliday the A’s showed that they don’t think he’ll be able to stick at third base defensively and apparently his new team agrees.
Wallace was taken in the first round of the 2008 draft as a third baseman and has played the position in 165 of his 192 games in the minors, but Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos made it clear in an MLB.com chat with fans over the weekend that he’ll be shifted to first base full time in 2010:
We think Wallace is capable of playing third. But, we see him being an above average defensive first baseman. Our hope is to have as strong as a defensive club as we can and putting players in a position where they have a chance to impact the club in the best way defensively.
In other words, maybe Wallace could be passable at third base, but the Blue Jays aren’t interested in that as a best-case scenario and mostly just want his bat in the lineup without his glove hurting them. Wallace will likely begin the year at Triple-A after Toronto got him in a straight-up swap with Oakland for fellow prospect Michael Taylor, but that could change if the Blue Jays clear first base for him by trading Lyle Overbay.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 4
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 37
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)