Chip Caray is fisted into a new job

Dec 21, 2009, 12:20 PM EST

Well, that’s how he’d probably describe it anyway. The details:

Chip Caray received an early Christmas present on Monday morning, when
Fox Sports Net hired him to serve as their play-by-play announcer for
all the Braves games televised by Fox Sports South and SportSouth.

This
was the role previously held by Jon “Boog” Sciambi, who accepted a
full-time role with ESPN at the conclusion of this past season.

I’m a Braves fan with much love in my heart for Chip’s old man. Best thing about Skip Caray: back when the Braves sucked in the 1980s, he’d say so. Repeatedly. Best call ever: as the Braves were losing a lead in the face of an opponents’ rally: “bases loaded and I wish I was too.”  You can’t teach that.

Anyway, I think that if Skip were alive today he’d say — at least when his wife and son weren’t around to hear it — that the Braves are going from a pretty damn good announcer in Boog Sciambi to a pretty crappy one in Chip “Line drive! Base hit! Caught out there” Caray.

1. GimmeSomeSteel - Dec 21, 2009 at 12:49 PM

My favorite Skip Caray moment–
    C. 1986, Braves in LA, very late night, extra innings, neither team seemingly willing to score a run and end this battle of non-contenders–
    “Some day…something…has to happen”.
    Unfortunately, there are no memorably good Chip Caray moments that I can recall.

2. willmose - Dec 21, 2009 at 12:54 PM

All this from an ever-fashionable crappy blogger. I grew up listening to his grandfather, Harry. Harry has a statue in front of Wrigley Field, and yet Harry never called a game accurately. He always rooted for his team. Sorry that you guys like bland. Chip is calling them as he sees them.

3. IdahoMariner - Dec 21, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Wow. they let you say “fisted” in the head line. That’s both awesome and disturbing. Totally apt use of the word, but…wow.

4. Aarcraft - Dec 21, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Unfortunately, he is often seeing them very inaccurately.

5. ralphdibny - Dec 21, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I can’t believe I’m about to defend Chip Caray. [Deep breath.]
    Yes, he screwed up that call in the playoffs. Badly. But you know, I was watching football this weekend and I heard at least three examples of the same thing–announcers excitedly telling me about events on the field that were not happening. Chip has become the whipping boy for a problem that affects all announcing. Over the past few years television coverage has improved so much that we fans sitting at home have a much better view of on-field events than do the announcers in the press box. I would bet you that Chip’s problems come from the fact that he actually tries to watch the game on the field like his dad and granddad did.

6. scatterbrian - Dec 21, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Always love a good Chip Caray fisting story Craig. Thanks!

7. TimberLee - Dec 21, 2009 at 1:49 PM

You suggest that Skip Caray would say one thing in public and another privately. I heard him do Braves’ TV games relatively late in his career and got the impression that he was an unhappy man, dissatisfied with how the world was turning out. I sort of wondered what it might be like to have to be with him when the mic was off and glad I didn’t have to find out. I did change the channel often.
    So his father was a bland inaccurate hometown rooter and his son is incompetent. Maybe he knew all that.

8. Church of the Perpertually Outraged - Dec 21, 2009 at 1:52 PM

If Chip is calling them as he sees them, maybe it’s time to get new glasses? Line Drive, Base Hit, caught….
    and IdahoMariner, run a google search on Chip Caray and fisted to see all the ridiculous usages of the term for this past season’s playoffs.

9. willmose - Dec 21, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Sigh, of course, you all missed the point. It is very fashionable to knock Chip Caray, but basebase announcers are in the same league as sports writers and bloggers. Being accurate has nothing to be a good one. Talk about mistakes, anybody ever listen to Ralph Kiner? And he was doing radio where accuracy is a bit more important. The point is not to be accurate but to be entertaining. BTW, Chip broadcasts on television, why does he have to tell you if its a base hit or is caught? Can’t you see for yourself? Apologies to the blind, but I don’t think they a large demographic for national television. I often watch the game with the sound off so I don’t have to hear Tim McCarver tell me that this batter is only 1 for 4 against lefthanders from Poughkeepsie on odd Thursday night games.

10. Tony D - Dec 21, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Joe Simpson will need to get hazardous duty pay to work with the Ted Baxter of sports casting—-I just became A Mets fan!!!!

11. Old Gator - Dec 21, 2009 at 4:49 PM

We had the joy – unappreciated enough, as are most things down here in Nuevo Macondo – of having Boog Sciambi announcing Marlins games for years. He, too, was no shill and called it like he saw it, and he usually saw it pretty dead-on. We all knew a day would come when Boog would ascend to national attention, even from this backwater market. Good for you, Boog. Knock ‘em dead up there in the States.

12. custom printed sweatshirt - Feb 8, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Hey who do you think was the best player for the Super Bowl Drew Brees? Or Jonathan Vilma?

13. Jean B - Apr 8, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Any one is a big improvement over Chip Carey. He is so full of himself and talks constantly. I will mute the sound when he is announcing. I like Joe Simpson

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester