Dec 21, 2009, 1:51 PM EDT
Philip Humber was the third overall pick in the 2004 draft following a brilliant college career and went from the Mets to the Twins as part of the four-player package for Johan Santana, but just two years later he could manage only a minor-league deal from the Royals after being cut by Minnesota.
Humber twice cleared waivers after the Twins dropped him from the 40-man roster during the season and really hasn’t been the same since undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery in 2005, showing nothing since the Santana deal to suggest that he can be a useful major leaguer. He coughed up 14 runs in 21 innings for the Twins, allowing opponents to bat .329/.430/.518, and posted a 4.96 ERA in 254 innings at Triple-A.
It wouldn’t be surprising to see Humber pitch in the big leagues again and maybe he can even find a niche as a long reliever for the lowly Royals, but as a 27-year-old who cleared waivers twice in the past six months and could manage only a minor-league deal from one of MLB’s worst teams as a free agent it’s safe to say that any pretense of upside has vanished. College stud, third overall pick, top prospect, part of the Santana trade package … and zero big-league wins.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 52
- Joe Maddon shows us why limited instant replay and manager challenges are bad ideas 47
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore 73
- Apparently Miguel Cabrera’s 2013 has made his 2012 better somehow 55
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (88)
- Yankees School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (80)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery