Dec 21, 2009, 2:59 PM EDT
Three weeks ago the Rays acquired Kelly Shoppach from the Indians for a player to be named later and this afternoon Mitch Talbot was announced as the mystery man heading to Cleveland.
Talbot and Ben Zobrist were the Astros prospects who went to the then-Devil Rays in the mid-2006 trade for Aubrey Huff. Zobrist has since emerged as one of the AL’s best players, putting together an MVP-caliber 2009 campaign, but Talbot has yet to stick in the majors and missed much of the season with elbow problems.
He pitched well when healthy, posting a 3.89 ERA and 67/18 K/BB ratio in 68.1 innings at Triple-A, and because he’s out of minor-league options the Indians seemingly acquired him with an eye toward giving him a big-league job in 2010. Talbot’s upside is limited because he doesn’t have great raw stuff and is already 26 years old, but he throws strikes, misses a fair number of bats, and potentially could be a back-of-the-rotation starter if healthy.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)