Dec 21, 2009, 2:59 PM EDT
Three weeks ago the Rays acquired Kelly Shoppach from the Indians for a player to be named later and this afternoon Mitch Talbot was announced as the mystery man heading to Cleveland.
Talbot and Ben Zobrist were the Astros prospects who went to the then-Devil Rays in the mid-2006 trade for Aubrey Huff. Zobrist has since emerged as one of the AL’s best players, putting together an MVP-caliber 2009 campaign, but Talbot has yet to stick in the majors and missed much of the season with elbow problems.
He pitched well when healthy, posting a 3.89 ERA and 67/18 K/BB ratio in 68.1 innings at Triple-A, and because he’s out of minor-league options the Indians seemingly acquired him with an eye toward giving him a big-league job in 2010. Talbot’s upside is limited because he doesn’t have great raw stuff and is already 26 years old, but he throws strikes, misses a fair number of bats, and potentially could be a back-of-the-rotation starter if healthy.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)