Dec 21, 2009, 11:55 AM EDT
So what happens if Jason Bay actually decides not to sign with the Mets? Well, according to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post general manager Omar Minaya would then turn to a second-tier free agent outfielder like Jonny Gomes.
Gomes was non-tendered by the Reds earlier this month because they’re too cheap to give him a raise via arbitration after the 29-year-old hit .267/.338/.541 with 20 homers in just 314 plate appearances. He makes the most sense as a platoon partner for a left-handed-hitting outfielder–for instance, J.D. Drew in Boston–but Gomes may indeed prefer New York if the Mets are willing to let him play every day.
Tons of strikeouts and the subsequent tendency to go into prolonged slumps against right-handed pitching have always limited Gomes’ playing time, but in 513 career games he’s knocked lefties around to the tune of 274/.369/.517 and even his .224/.311/.448 line against righties is somewhat productive. By comparison, during his career Bay has batted .284/.397/.537 against lefties (which is six percent better than Gomes) and .278/.370/.514 against righties (17 percent better than Gomes).
Bay is obviously better than second-tier guys like Gomes, but is he $70 million better?
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 60
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)