Dec 21, 2009, 11:55 AM EDT
So what happens if Jason Bay actually decides not to sign with the Mets? Well, according to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post general manager Omar Minaya would then turn to a second-tier free agent outfielder like Jonny Gomes.
Gomes was non-tendered by the Reds earlier this month because they’re too cheap to give him a raise via arbitration after the 29-year-old hit .267/.338/.541 with 20 homers in just 314 plate appearances. He makes the most sense as a platoon partner for a left-handed-hitting outfielder–for instance, J.D. Drew in Boston–but Gomes may indeed prefer New York if the Mets are willing to let him play every day.
Tons of strikeouts and the subsequent tendency to go into prolonged slumps against right-handed pitching have always limited Gomes’ playing time, but in 513 career games he’s knocked lefties around to the tune of 274/.369/.517 and even his .224/.311/.448 line against righties is somewhat productive. By comparison, during his career Bay has batted .284/.397/.537 against lefties (which is six percent better than Gomes) and .278/.370/.514 against righties (17 percent better than Gomes).
Bay is obviously better than second-tier guys like Gomes, but is he $70 million better?
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)