Dec 21, 2009, 11:55 AM EDT
So what happens if Jason Bay actually decides not to sign with the Mets? Well, according to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post general manager Omar Minaya would then turn to a second-tier free agent outfielder like Jonny Gomes.
Gomes was non-tendered by the Reds earlier this month because they’re too cheap to give him a raise via arbitration after the 29-year-old hit .267/.338/.541 with 20 homers in just 314 plate appearances. He makes the most sense as a platoon partner for a left-handed-hitting outfielder–for instance, J.D. Drew in Boston–but Gomes may indeed prefer New York if the Mets are willing to let him play every day.
Tons of strikeouts and the subsequent tendency to go into prolonged slumps against right-handed pitching have always limited Gomes’ playing time, but in 513 career games he’s knocked lefties around to the tune of 274/.369/.517 and even his .224/.311/.448 line against righties is somewhat productive. By comparison, during his career Bay has batted .284/.397/.537 against lefties (which is six percent better than Gomes) and .278/.370/.514 against righties (17 percent better than Gomes).
Bay is obviously better than second-tier guys like Gomes, but is he $70 million better?
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)