Dec 21, 2009, 11:55 AM EDT
So what happens if Jason Bay actually decides not to sign with the Mets? Well, according to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post general manager Omar Minaya would then turn to a second-tier free agent outfielder like Jonny Gomes.
Gomes was non-tendered by the Reds earlier this month because they’re too cheap to give him a raise via arbitration after the 29-year-old hit .267/.338/.541 with 20 homers in just 314 plate appearances. He makes the most sense as a platoon partner for a left-handed-hitting outfielder–for instance, J.D. Drew in Boston–but Gomes may indeed prefer New York if the Mets are willing to let him play every day.
Tons of strikeouts and the subsequent tendency to go into prolonged slumps against right-handed pitching have always limited Gomes’ playing time, but in 513 career games he’s knocked lefties around to the tune of 274/.369/.517 and even his .224/.311/.448 line against righties is somewhat productive. By comparison, during his career Bay has batted .284/.397/.537 against lefties (which is six percent better than Gomes) and .278/.370/.514 against righties (17 percent better than Gomes).
Bay is obviously better than second-tier guys like Gomes, but is he $70 million better?
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 27
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)