Dec 21, 2009, 9:29 AM EDT
The first round of analysis arising out of the Milton Bradley trade has followed this general narrative: the Mariners fleeced the Cubs, dumping a truly useless player in Carlos Silva for a troubled but useful one in Bradley. And I think, generally speaking, it’s the right call. If everything breaks right, this could be a pretty nice deal for Seattle.
But all of that analysis seems to gloss over the Milton Bradley part of the deal with stuff like “assuming Bradley behaves himself,” and “with a change of scenery Bradley will likely . . .” After reading the fifth or sixth variation of that I can’t help but think that people are underselling just how many problems the guy has. Paul Sullivan of the Tribune has a nice little refresher, however, in the form of a list of the top 11 Bradley incidents from his short tenure in Chicago. It’s pretty impressive in and of itself, but it also speaks to personality that isn’t likely to magically transform based on a mere change of scenery.
I like Milton Bradley the player to a certain degree, and I think that, over the years, he has maybe gotten a little more bad press than he deserves. But Bradley’s reputation as a clubhouse cancer is not unjustified. The guy has issues, and no comparison of his potential OPS to Carlos Silva’s ERA against a backdrop of salary swapping truly captures it.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)