Pedro to the Mets?

Dec 21, 2009, 5:20 PM EDT

UPDATERumor Denied by a Mets’ spokesman. Drat. I like Pedro stuff. He makes the world a whole lot brighter.

5:20 P.M.:  ESPN’s Jayson Stark is reporting that the Mets have talked to Pedro Martinez about coming back to pitch in New York.  Never mind that he hasn’t started 25 games or thrown 150 innings since his first year with the Mets in 2005, and that he left town a year ago remembered far more as a free agent bust than as a future Hall of Famer.

But it could be all about perception and expectations with Pedro.  Bring him in for huge money and he busts and of course the fans in Queens are going to be angry.  Bring him in for low, low veteran dollars and he pitches as a fair-to-middlin’ back of the rotation starter and he might be a nice little signing.

Heck, the Mets were reported to be in on Jason Marquis, and I could see Pedro having a more useful season than him.

1. Rory - Dec 21, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Why not? I mean at this point at least it isn’t (yet!) another catcher…

2. Why am I a Met fan? - Dec 21, 2009 at 7:11 PM

WOO HOO!! Mets need to break the piggy bank for him so the fans will break their piggy bank for World Series tickets. What an awesome front office!!

3. john pileggi - Dec 21, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Nice dream. No way.

4. AJ Gallo - Dec 21, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Omar is kidding, right? Please tell me he’s just fooling around……

5. bobby - Dec 21, 2009 at 10:50 PM

good job mets … that will fix the problem

6. Freddy Coupon - Dec 22, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Fred Wilpon (Coupon) is in no longer in position financially to own this team. Trust me, contrary to reports, he took a huge Madoff beatdown. Let’s also not forget that he actually could not even afford to buy Doubleday’s half of the team only a few years ago. He had to borrow to get it done. He is a businessman first and a Met fan last. His dream team is the long gone Brooklyn Dodgers. The best thing that could happen to the Mets is a sale of the organization to an owner who is truly a NY Mets fan and cares about the club to realize that it should not always be about the almighty dollar. Wilpon bleeds liks all Mets fans…only difference is he bleeds Dodger blue.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4092)