Dec 21, 2009, 5:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: Rumor Denied by a Mets’ spokesman. Drat. I like Pedro stuff. He makes the world a whole lot brighter.
5:20 P.M.: ESPN’s Jayson Stark is reporting that the Mets have talked to Pedro Martinez about coming back to pitch in New York. Never mind that he hasn’t started 25 games or thrown 150 innings since his first year with the Mets in 2005, and that he left town a year ago remembered far more as a free agent bust than as a future Hall of Famer.
But it could be all about perception and expectations with Pedro. Bring him in for huge money and he busts and of course the fans in Queens are going to be angry. Bring him in for low, low veteran dollars and he pitches as a fair-to-middlin’ back of the rotation starter and he might be a nice little signing.
Heck, the Mets were reported to be in on Jason Marquis, and I could see Pedro having a more useful season than him.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 49
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 147
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (149)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)