Dec 21, 2009, 5:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: Rumor Denied by a Mets’ spokesman. Drat. I like Pedro stuff. He makes the world a whole lot brighter.
5:20 P.M.: ESPN’s Jayson Stark is reporting that the Mets have talked to Pedro Martinez about coming back to pitch in New York. Never mind that he hasn’t started 25 games or thrown 150 innings since his first year with the Mets in 2005, and that he left town a year ago remembered far more as a free agent bust than as a future Hall of Famer.
But it could be all about perception and expectations with Pedro. Bring him in for huge money and he busts and of course the fans in Queens are going to be angry. Bring him in for low, low veteran dollars and he pitches as a fair-to-middlin’ back of the rotation starter and he might be a nice little signing.
Heck, the Mets were reported to be in on Jason Marquis, and I could see Pedro having a more useful season than him.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 15
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 14
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)