Dec 21, 2009, 5:48 PM EST
No news of talks or entreaties, overtures , pleas or even furtive whispers, but ESPN’s Rumor Thingy — which is what I’m going to call it until they start putting up names of the people who write them — talks to an anonymous executive who thinks that Jason Bay might fit well in Anaheim, should they get rid of Juan Rivera and/or Gary Matthews, Jr.
It would have to be Matthews given the dollars, right? I mean the only real talk I’ve seen about Rivera being shipped out is in some sort of Derek Lowe deal, and that wouldn’t exactly help the payroll.
Unanswered by the Rumor Thingy: is Anaheim the [dramatic pause] MYSTERY TEAM interested in Bay? Given that the very concept of the Bay Mystery Team was made up, I don’t see why we can’t make up the confirmation of its identity.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)