Dec 21, 2009, 5:48 PM EDT
No news of talks or entreaties, overtures , pleas or even furtive whispers, but ESPN’s Rumor Thingy — which is what I’m going to call it until they start putting up names of the people who write them — talks to an anonymous executive who thinks that Jason Bay might fit well in Anaheim, should they get rid of Juan Rivera and/or Gary Matthews, Jr.
It would have to be Matthews given the dollars, right? I mean the only real talk I’ve seen about Rivera being shipped out is in some sort of Derek Lowe deal, and that wouldn’t exactly help the payroll.
Unanswered by the Rumor Thingy: is Anaheim the [dramatic pause] MYSTERY TEAM interested in Bay? Given that the very concept of the Bay Mystery Team was made up, I don’t see why we can’t make up the confirmation of its identity.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)