Dec 21, 2009, 10:58 AM EST
Gary Sheffield has been out peddling his I’m-in-the-best-shape-of-my-life and I-want-to-reach-3000-hits stuff for a while. The latest target? Tampa Bay, where a random note in the St. Petersburg Times has him saying that he wants to play two more years and finish his career with the Rays.
I was going to make a joke about how the Rays are a decade past their old strategy of signing every washed up slugger they could find, but then I remembered that they signed Pat Burrell last season and seriously considered trading for Milton Bradley this year.
Sheffield in Tampa Bay? If his salary expectations are reasonable (read: de minimis) than I could see the Rays doing way worse things with their DH slot. Things like giving Pat Burrell another 500 plate appearances.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (227)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)