Dec 21, 2009, 10:58 AM EDT
Gary Sheffield has been out peddling his I’m-in-the-best-shape-of-my-life and I-want-to-reach-3000-hits stuff for a while. The latest target? Tampa Bay, where a random note in the St. Petersburg Times has him saying that he wants to play two more years and finish his career with the Rays.
I was going to make a joke about how the Rays are a decade past their old strategy of signing every washed up slugger they could find, but then I remembered that they signed Pat Burrell last season and seriously considered trading for Milton Bradley this year.
Sheffield in Tampa Bay? If his salary expectations are reasonable (read: de minimis) than I could see the Rays doing way worse things with their DH slot. Things like giving Pat Burrell another 500 plate appearances.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 33
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)