Dec 21, 2009, 10:58 AM EDT
Gary Sheffield has been out peddling his I’m-in-the-best-shape-of-my-life and I-want-to-reach-3000-hits stuff for a while. The latest target? Tampa Bay, where a random note in the St. Petersburg Times has him saying that he wants to play two more years and finish his career with the Rays.
I was going to make a joke about how the Rays are a decade past their old strategy of signing every washed up slugger they could find, but then I remembered that they signed Pat Burrell last season and seriously considered trading for Milton Bradley this year.
Sheffield in Tampa Bay? If his salary expectations are reasonable (read: de minimis) than I could see the Rays doing way worse things with their DH slot. Things like giving Pat Burrell another 500 plate appearances.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 0
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 99
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 17
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 23
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39