Dec 21, 2009, 10:28 AM EST
Via Matthew Cerrone’s MetsBlog is word from Newsday’s Ken Davidoff that “According to a Mets official, if the team fails to secure [Jason] Bay, it will
strongly consider raising its offer to Molina. But if Bay signs, the
Mets will hold a harder line with Molina.”
Which is profoundly stupid.
Bengie Molina is probably not even worth what the Mets have already offered him, but even if he was, how would Bay not accepting his offer suddenly make Bengie Molina more valuable? Did Omar honestly sit down in November and decide that his free agent budget is $X, and it will be spent on as many or as few players as possible?
It’s one thing to have an overall offseason strategy, but any one player’s value should be arrived at independent of what you’re doing with another player. We already know that Omar Minaya is, well, limited as a GM, but if this report is true, someone should relieve him of command like he was Captain Queeq in the typhoon, because this destroyer is about to founder.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)