Dec 21, 2009, 7:50 PM EST
Jerry Crasnick reports that the Nationals, fresh off of signing Jason Marquis, are making a push to sign Pirates’ castoff Matt Capps.
I’ve written way too much about Matt Capps in the last eight days. The point wasn’t that Matt Capps was something special, but that his situation wasn’t handled all that well by the Pirates, more in terms of their own interests than in terms of respect due Matt Capps of what have you. Still, Capps’ agent has no complaints along those lines with the Nats, going so far as to tell Crasnick that “Mike Rizzo has done an unbelievable job” and has “impressed Matt.” Many Nats players also go on record saying they want Capps in a Nats’ uniform.
Capps reportedly had mucho interest in the past week, so there may be other teams in on him. He’s expected to make his choice within the next two days, Crasnick reports.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)