Dec 21, 2009, 7:50 PM EDT
Jerry Crasnick reports that the Nationals, fresh off of signing Jason Marquis, are making a push to sign Pirates’ castoff Matt Capps.
I’ve written way too much about Matt Capps in the last eight days. The point wasn’t that Matt Capps was something special, but that his situation wasn’t handled all that well by the Pirates, more in terms of their own interests than in terms of respect due Matt Capps of what have you. Still, Capps’ agent has no complaints along those lines with the Nats, going so far as to tell Crasnick that “Mike Rizzo has done an unbelievable job” and has “impressed Matt.” Many Nats players also go on record saying they want Capps in a Nats’ uniform.
Capps reportedly had mucho interest in the past week, so there may be other teams in on him. He’s expected to make his choice within the next two days, Crasnick reports.
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 0
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 10
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (103)