Dec 21, 2009, 7:50 PM EST
Jerry Crasnick reports that the Nationals, fresh off of signing Jason Marquis, are making a push to sign Pirates’ castoff Matt Capps.
I’ve written way too much about Matt Capps in the last eight days. The point wasn’t that Matt Capps was something special, but that his situation wasn’t handled all that well by the Pirates, more in terms of their own interests than in terms of respect due Matt Capps of what have you. Still, Capps’ agent has no complaints along those lines with the Nats, going so far as to tell Crasnick that “Mike Rizzo has done an unbelievable job” and has “impressed Matt.” Many Nats players also go on record saying they want Capps in a Nats’ uniform.
Capps reportedly had mucho interest in the past week, so there may be other teams in on him. He’s expected to make his choice within the next two days, Crasnick reports.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)