Dec 21, 2009, 7:50 PM EST
Jerry Crasnick reports that the Nationals, fresh off of signing Jason Marquis, are making a push to sign Pirates’ castoff Matt Capps.
I’ve written way too much about Matt Capps in the last eight days. The point wasn’t that Matt Capps was something special, but that his situation wasn’t handled all that well by the Pirates, more in terms of their own interests than in terms of respect due Matt Capps of what have you. Still, Capps’ agent has no complaints along those lines with the Nats, going so far as to tell Crasnick that “Mike Rizzo has done an unbelievable job” and has “impressed Matt.” Many Nats players also go on record saying they want Capps in a Nats’ uniform.
Capps reportedly had mucho interest in the past week, so there may be other teams in on him. He’s expected to make his choice within the next two days, Crasnick reports.
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 9
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 64
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 81
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)