The Padres will break out the brown and yellow

Dec 21, 2009, 2:20 PM EDT

Padres Uniform.gifAnd I don’t mean mustard:

Thursday afternoons at PETCO Park will be a blast from the past for Padres fans.

For six midday tilts, the Padres will sport the brown and mustard
uniforms of 1970s or ’80s vintage, according to a report by The
Associated Press citing team president Tom Garfinkel as a source.

When people think of the ugly old Padres uniforms they tend to mash them all together in their memories as one ugly brownish yellow blob. But there were several significant variations on the theme, ranging from all yellow, to all brown, to something in between. And they weren’t all ugly. I’m rather partial to the 1976-77 model which, in addition to mixing the colors in optimal fashion, eschewed those awful typefaces of 1978 and beyond.

The all yellow was something ugly to behold, but at least it had flair. I think the worst was the 1991-2001 pinstripes. San Diego is one of the more laid back towns I’ve ever been to. Pinstripes should be outlawed there.

For this throwback feature, however, the choices will be limited to three, with fans voting to decide which one ultimately graces the Friars on the field. The choices: those 1978 duds mentioned above, or the white
jersey/white pants combo from the 1984 pennant team, which aren’t terribly different.

Blah. Go with 1976. Much more stylish.

1. Steve Garvey - Dec 21, 2009 at 2:27 PM

How in the world can you leave out Tommy Lasorda’s accurate and hilarious observation that I looked like a Taco?

2. Chris - Dec 21, 2009 at 2:29 PM

You crazy. The 1978-and-beyond disco typeface was fantastic, and much more interesting than the banal 76-77 model. The 76-77 uniform looks like the Nationals uniform, dipped in poop and pee.

3. GBSimons - Dec 21, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Ugly, ugly and ugly. I’ll disagree with you, Craig, and take the 90s pinstripes over an color based on a condiment.
    At least with these uniforms the players will be visible. It’s so difficult to follow the action when they’re wearing the camouflage.

4. BC - Dec 21, 2009 at 2:36 PM

YEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!! Now all we need are the Astros’ early ’80s duds, and the White Sox’s shorts from the ’70s, and WE ARE COOKING WITH GAS, BABY!

5. Chuck - Dec 21, 2009 at 2:38 PM

If you’re going to play like crap, you may as well look the part.

6. Old Gator - Dec 21, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Craig, I know what you’re thinking – that I’m going to show off my vast literary learning again and bring up Kurt Vonnegut’s paen to “Babyshit Brown” from Breakfast of Champions. Well, nothing could be further from the truth.
    No, what I’m going to do this time is point out that the 76-77 Padres uniform design looks exactly like the paint job on the first Boeing 707 factory demonstrator back in the late 1950s. Really. You could look it up.

7. Old Gator - Dec 21, 2009 at 4:39 PM

>sighBluebeard, not Breakfast of Champions. No one as dignified as Vonnegut would have brought up babyshit over breakfast.

8. Tommy Lasorda - Dec 21, 2009 at 4:41 PM

If you had really looked like a Taco, you idiot, I would have eaten you.

9. Steve Garvey - Dec 21, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Yeah, well, I’m glad that idiot Sutcliffe busted up your office. Get a diet going, huh? One man to a pair of pants out there!

10. Eat a Peach - Dec 21, 2009 at 5:29 PM

The late great Kurt Vonnegut would surely wish you to be informed that you are a veritable Vartan Mamigonian to so misinform the public as to the origins of “Babyshit Brown.”
    I hope that they paint a beautiful mural of the history of your Feesh, sir, and I hope it is done in Sateen Dura-Luxe. It looks amazing and should last forever.

11. Old Gator - Dec 21, 2009 at 10:21 PM

And Kurt would be right, too. I’m going to go to confession over a stupid mistake like that. Unfortunately, the police already know I’ll just be another psychotic looking for attention and will doubtless throw me out on my ass.
    Meanwhile, sir, here, as contended, and courtesy of the Smithsonian Institution’s taxpayer-funded chronosynclastic infundibulum, is a halfway decent photo of the Boeing 707 “Dash 80″ demonstrator wearing its 76-77 San Diego Padres uniform:

12. Eat a Peach - Dec 22, 2009 at 4:31 AM

Godawful – but I bet it looked prettier doing a babyshit brown barrel roll.

13. Old Gator - Dec 22, 2009 at 6:01 AM

Tex Johnson, the legendary test pilot (commercial aviation’s answer to Chuck Yeager, I guess) who rolled the plane on that wonderful afternoon over Seattle, described being called in by the President of Boeing, no doubt not long after the poor suit got finished changing his underwear. Why did you do that, he asked. Johnson replied, well, to show off the airplane, and because I knew we could do it. That’s nice, replied the boss. Now you know it can do that, they know it can do that, and I know it can do that. So don’t do it again.
    But back to baseball: with a paint job like that, I’m surprised that Pan American, who got the first production model, didn’t name it “Clipper Tony Gwynn.”

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2884)