Dec 21, 2009, 2:20 PM EST
Thursday afternoons at PETCO Park will be a blast from the past for Padres fans.
For six midday tilts, the Padres will sport the brown and mustard
uniforms of 1970s or ’80s vintage, according to a report by The
Associated Press citing team president Tom Garfinkel as a source.
When people think of the ugly old Padres uniforms they tend to mash them all together in their memories as one ugly brownish yellow blob. But there were several significant variations on the theme, ranging from all yellow, to all brown, to something in between. And they weren’t all ugly. I’m rather partial to the 1976-77 model which, in addition to mixing the colors in optimal fashion, eschewed those awful typefaces of 1978 and beyond.
The all yellow was something ugly to behold, but at least it had flair. I think the worst was the 1991-2001 pinstripes. San Diego is one of the more laid back towns I’ve ever been to. Pinstripes should be outlawed there.
For this throwback feature, however, the choices will be limited to three, with fans voting to decide which one ultimately graces the Friars on the field. The choices: those 1978 duds mentioned above, or the white
jersey/white pants combo from the 1984 pennant team, which aren’t terribly different.
Blah. Go with 1976. Much more stylish.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 85
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)