Dec 21, 2009, 2:20 PM EDT
Thursday afternoons at PETCO Park will be a blast from the past for Padres fans.
For six midday tilts, the Padres will sport the brown and mustard
uniforms of 1970s or ’80s vintage, according to a report by The
Associated Press citing team president Tom Garfinkel as a source.
When people think of the ugly old Padres uniforms they tend to mash them all together in their memories as one ugly brownish yellow blob. But there were several significant variations on the theme, ranging from all yellow, to all brown, to something in between. And they weren’t all ugly. I’m rather partial to the 1976-77 model which, in addition to mixing the colors in optimal fashion, eschewed those awful typefaces of 1978 and beyond.
The all yellow was something ugly to behold, but at least it had flair. I think the worst was the 1991-2001 pinstripes. San Diego is one of the more laid back towns I’ve ever been to. Pinstripes should be outlawed there.
For this throwback feature, however, the choices will be limited to three, with fans voting to decide which one ultimately graces the Friars on the field. The choices: those 1978 duds mentioned above, or the white
jersey/white pants combo from the 1984 pennant team, which aren’t terribly different.
Blah. Go with 1976. Much more stylish.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 105
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 17
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 38
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 41
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 351
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (352)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (193)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)