Dec 21, 2009, 4:20 PM EDT
A catcher? I thought Dusty Ryan was a cowboy or a wrestler or something. You learn something new every day:
The Detroit Tigers today traded catcher Dusty Ryan to the San Diego Padres for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
Ryan played for the Tigers and Triple-A Toledo this past season. He
batted .154 with four RBIs in 12 games with the Tigers and batted .257
with 10 home runs and 35 RBIs in 63 games with the Mud Hens.
Oh, that Dusty Ryan. The Dusty Ryan who showed some spotty on base ability in the minors and then had a real nice 50 plate appearances for the Tigers in 2008, fooling some fantasy owners [cough!] me [cough!] into taking a chance on him as some extreme back-end-of-the-roster fodder last season. Probably says more about me than it does Dusty Ryan that I came in rock bottom last in all three leagues in which I participated.
But he is supposed to be an outstanding defensive catcher, so if he can hit even a little, he’s going to be a valuable commodity. The kind of guy that, as you’re flipping channels one day, you notice has been in the bigs for 14 years with six different teams, having carved out a nice little living as a backup. A Zaunian figure, if you will.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 8
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (84)