Dec 21, 2009, 4:20 PM EDT
A catcher? I thought Dusty Ryan was a cowboy or a wrestler or something. You learn something new every day:
The Detroit Tigers today traded catcher Dusty Ryan to the San Diego Padres for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
Ryan played for the Tigers and Triple-A Toledo this past season. He
batted .154 with four RBIs in 12 games with the Tigers and batted .257
with 10 home runs and 35 RBIs in 63 games with the Mud Hens.
Oh, that Dusty Ryan. The Dusty Ryan who showed some spotty on base ability in the minors and then had a real nice 50 plate appearances for the Tigers in 2008, fooling some fantasy owners [cough!] me [cough!] into taking a chance on him as some extreme back-end-of-the-roster fodder last season. Probably says more about me than it does Dusty Ryan that I came in rock bottom last in all three leagues in which I participated.
But he is supposed to be an outstanding defensive catcher, so if he can hit even a little, he’s going to be a valuable commodity. The kind of guy that, as you’re flipping channels one day, you notice has been in the bigs for 14 years with six different teams, having carved out a nice little living as a backup. A Zaunian figure, if you will.
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game, as they’re announced… 1
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)