Dec 21, 2009, 4:20 PM EDT
A catcher? I thought Dusty Ryan was a cowboy or a wrestler or something. You learn something new every day:
The Detroit Tigers today traded catcher Dusty Ryan to the San Diego Padres for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
Ryan played for the Tigers and Triple-A Toledo this past season. He
batted .154 with four RBIs in 12 games with the Tigers and batted .257
with 10 home runs and 35 RBIs in 63 games with the Mud Hens.
Oh, that Dusty Ryan. The Dusty Ryan who showed some spotty on base ability in the minors and then had a real nice 50 plate appearances for the Tigers in 2008, fooling some fantasy owners [cough!] me [cough!] into taking a chance on him as some extreme back-end-of-the-roster fodder last season. Probably says more about me than it does Dusty Ryan that I came in rock bottom last in all three leagues in which I participated.
But he is supposed to be an outstanding defensive catcher, so if he can hit even a little, he’s going to be a valuable commodity. The kind of guy that, as you’re flipping channels one day, you notice has been in the bigs for 14 years with six different teams, having carved out a nice little living as a backup. A Zaunian figure, if you will.
- Report: Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 0
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (196)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (91)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)