Dec 21, 2009, 4:20 PM EDT
A catcher? I thought Dusty Ryan was a cowboy or a wrestler or something. You learn something new every day:
The Detroit Tigers today traded catcher Dusty Ryan to the San Diego Padres for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
Ryan played for the Tigers and Triple-A Toledo this past season. He
batted .154 with four RBIs in 12 games with the Tigers and batted .257
with 10 home runs and 35 RBIs in 63 games with the Mud Hens.
Oh, that Dusty Ryan. The Dusty Ryan who showed some spotty on base ability in the minors and then had a real nice 50 plate appearances for the Tigers in 2008, fooling some fantasy owners [cough!] me [cough!] into taking a chance on him as some extreme back-end-of-the-roster fodder last season. Probably says more about me than it does Dusty Ryan that I came in rock bottom last in all three leagues in which I participated.
But he is supposed to be an outstanding defensive catcher, so if he can hit even a little, he’s going to be a valuable commodity. The kind of guy that, as you’re flipping channels one day, you notice has been in the bigs for 14 years with six different teams, having carved out a nice little living as a backup. A Zaunian figure, if you will.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)