Dec 21, 2009, 4:20 PM EDT
A catcher? I thought Dusty Ryan was a cowboy or a wrestler or something. You learn something new every day:
The Detroit Tigers today traded catcher Dusty Ryan to the San Diego Padres for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
Ryan played for the Tigers and Triple-A Toledo this past season. He
batted .154 with four RBIs in 12 games with the Tigers and batted .257
with 10 home runs and 35 RBIs in 63 games with the Mud Hens.
Oh, that Dusty Ryan. The Dusty Ryan who showed some spotty on base ability in the minors and then had a real nice 50 plate appearances for the Tigers in 2008, fooling some fantasy owners [cough!] me [cough!] into taking a chance on him as some extreme back-end-of-the-roster fodder last season. Probably says more about me than it does Dusty Ryan that I came in rock bottom last in all three leagues in which I participated.
But he is supposed to be an outstanding defensive catcher, so if he can hit even a little, he’s going to be a valuable commodity. The kind of guy that, as you’re flipping channels one day, you notice has been in the bigs for 14 years with six different teams, having carved out a nice little living as a backup. A Zaunian figure, if you will.
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 0
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 9
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 28
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 5
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3