The Yankees are about to land a pitcher

Dec 21, 2009, 11:37 PM EDT

UPDATE:  It’s not Zambrano, according to Feinsand. The Cubs haven’t asked him to waive his no-trade clause as of this evening, which would seem to be a precursor to any serious talks. I’m starting to get more enamored of the Javy Vazquez stuff. For one thing, the Braves are about the only other team in a position to trade starting pitching. For the reasons we’ve said, Lowe makes little sense. The only thing that doesn’t make sense re: Vazquez from the Yankees’ perspective is that he was there once and didn’t pitch all that great. But haven’t the Bombers given up such provincial thinking?  He’s a lot better now than he used to be.

11:14 P.M:  No news, but let’s speculate. That “this is not a salary dump” stuff could be interpreted loosely, right? I mean, Derek Lowe is owed $45 million, but Nick Swisher is owed $16.75 million on his deal. Braves kick in a little money and maybe we’re out of salary dump land? OK, yeah, that’s dumb and I still see no reason the Yankees would want Derek Lowe. Chalk it up to boredom and wishful thinking.  New guess: Javy Vazquez’s triumphant return to Gotham . . .

10:24 P.M.:  Mark Feinsand doesn’t know who it is, but he says that it’s not a salary dump deal, so there goes my Derek Lowe-for-Nick Swisher fantasies. Zambrano? That’s my guess for now. Zambrano. Guesses will change every seven minutes until I run out of pitchers.

9:52 P.M.Rosenthal is on it too, though he says it’s not Aaron Harang.

8:46 P.M.: Buster Olney tweetsHeard this:
Yankees working very hard tonight on deal for starting pitcher.
Remember that they came close to deal for Aaron Harang in summer.”

Not sure why he’d mention Harang if the deal they’re working on wasn’t for Harang.

1. Boom - Dec 21, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Yankees are apparently close to a deal for a starting pitcher, says a source. Still working on who, but I’m told it’s not a salary dump deal

2. Dan - Dec 21, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Any update?

3. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 21, 2009 at 10:39 PM

None yet.

4. Dan - Dec 21, 2009 at 10:41 PM

I love that you are on top of this so late. Just want you to know, it’s appreciated!

5. YankezeTim - Dec 21, 2009 at 11:06 PM

where is next pick, 7 minutes are up?

6. RyanMalmstrom - Dec 21, 2009 at 11:12 PM

I’m going to throw Jonathan Sanchez’s name into the hat. Just for fun.

7. Dan - Dec 21, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Yikes, Javier Vazquez in Yankee stadium — would be home run derby all year!

8. JavyVazquez - Dec 21, 2009 at 11:23 PM

It’s me. I’m coming back to torture Yankee fans with my tremrendous ALCS performance against the BoSawx back in ’04

9. baseball10 - Dec 21, 2009 at 11:47 PM

“The only thing that doesn’t make sense re: Vazquez from the Yankees’ perspective is that he was there once and didn’t pitch all that great. But haven’t the Bombers given up such provincial thinking? He’s a lot better now than he used to be. ”
    This is your worst comment since saying the Red Sox would be wrong to look towards the 2010 free agent class as having difference-makers.

10. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 21, 2009 at 11:51 PM

You got, like, an argument as to why the comment is so bad, or do you just live in unsupported assertion land? Vazquez is coming off a 2.87 ERA season. He’s only on the hook for one year. The Yankees have been widely reported to be looking for a starter and tonight there is all kinds of chatter that they’re close to getting one. The Braves are the only ones shopping starting pitching now. Of the two they have to shop, Vazquez is the far more attractive options.
    They could still go in a totally different direction, but there are at least a half dozen circumstantial reasons why Vazquez is a non-stupid suspect. You got a better idea?

11. andrew - Dec 22, 2009 at 12:36 AM

It could just be the twins dumping one of their Swarzak, Perkins etc fifth starters for brett gardner

12. MARK - Dec 22, 2009 at 4:59 AM

BRING BACK HOMERUN JAVY!! NO WAY I RATHER HAVE WANG SHEETS OR THE CUBAN PITCHER. HE WILL GIVE UP THE MOST HOMERUNS IN THE MAJORS. W.T.F. IS CASH DOING???

13. Eat a Peach - Dec 22, 2009 at 6:09 AM

I’ll take a crack at this one. Baseball10 is just another dope, that was one of the lamest posts I’ve seen that without bad language or all caps. I’m looking at you too, MARK. Javy could be an attractive option to the Yanks still, but my best guess is they’ll go a less expensive route for this starter.
    I also don’t think you can really say Javy is a better pitcher now than he was in 2004, his numbers from 2003 with the Expos are comparable to what he did last year. 2009 was his best season as a pro, but 2001 and 2007 were close as well.
    The things about 2004 are that he was due to regress somewhat after an otherworldly 2003, and he moved from the NL to the AL East. If they can acquire him for a reasonable price, don’t you think they’d be fairly happy with his 2004 numbers? Given the same factors (regression and a move to the AL East,) plus the homer-friendliness of newer Yankee Stadium, I’m pretty sure he’d give up closer to 30 HR’s than the 20 he gave up last year. With the same pitching line he put up in 2004, I’d guess him into the 16-18 win range on this team.

14. willmose - Dec 22, 2009 at 8:12 AM

The Chip Carey of bloggers, “Unknown pitcher, Harang, Lowe, Zambrano, Vazquez, not wait Boso the Clown”

Three legends off to Cooperstown