Dec 22, 2009, 8:45 PM EST
Seattle Mariners closer David Aardsma appeared to throw down a gauntlet of sorts to incoming teammate Milton Bradley when interviewed by the Sporting News over the weekend. His quotes, and the accompanying headline on the story essentially said this: “Milton, everyone knows you can play, but you better be cool in Seattle and not mess up our chemistry.”
Only one problem: Aardsma didn’t say that. In fact, as Doug Miller of MLB.com reports, Aardsma’s quotes were so messed up and taken out of context that the Sporting News ended up calling to apologize to the pitcher.
Aardsma says he has long admired what Bradley can do with the bat and that he should fit in well with what the Mariners are trying to accomplish in 2010.
“I am excited for him,” Aardsma said. “He’s going to be a huge part of this team and probably going to be a huge part of our success. He will be right in the middle of our lineup, and he’s going to help my career, too. He’ll help the team score a bunch more runs, and that makes my job easier in the bullpen.
“I’ll do anything I can to help him. I’m pumped up to have him.”
So now we know what David Aardsma thinks of Milton Bradley. The truth sure can be boring can’t it? Sigh.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 5
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 54
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 44
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 137
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (138)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)