Dec 22, 2009, 8:45 PM EDT
Seattle Mariners closer David Aardsma appeared to throw down a gauntlet of sorts to incoming teammate Milton Bradley when interviewed by the Sporting News over the weekend. His quotes, and the accompanying headline on the story essentially said this: “Milton, everyone knows you can play, but you better be cool in Seattle and not mess up our chemistry.”
Only one problem: Aardsma didn’t say that. In fact, as Doug Miller of MLB.com reports, Aardsma’s quotes were so messed up and taken out of context that the Sporting News ended up calling to apologize to the pitcher.
Aardsma says he has long admired what Bradley can do with the bat and that he should fit in well with what the Mariners are trying to accomplish in 2010.
“I am excited for him,” Aardsma said. “He’s going to be a huge part of this team and probably going to be a huge part of our success. He will be right in the middle of our lineup, and he’s going to help my career, too. He’ll help the team score a bunch more runs, and that makes my job easier in the bullpen.
“I’ll do anything I can to help him. I’m pumped up to have him.”
So now we know what David Aardsma thinks of Milton Bradley. The truth sure can be boring can’t it? Sigh.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)