Dec 22, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! says that the Harang-to-the-Dodgers deal still has a bit of life to it, and that the trade could still happen with George Sherrill going to Cincinnati. What use does Cincinnati have for Sherrill? None, really — and they’re even willing to eat $10 million of the $14 million owed Harang for some reason — but the idea would be for the Reds to then flip him elsewhere for prospects.
Which would be a great idea if there weren’t a bunch of closers floating around out there who could be had without giving up prospects, but I guess that’s not important right now. What is important is that the Reds want a prospect of their own to go along with Sherrill, and that’s what’s holding up the deal.
So let me get this straight: the Reds need to trade an expensive starter, but they’re willing to eat almost all of his salary. They’re willing to take on the Dodgers’ expensive reliever, but only so they can flip him for prospects in a market currently suffering from a closer glut. And oh, they want prospects from the Dodgers.
Question: why don’t thy just trade Harang somewhere for prospects themselves, eliminate the George Sherrill two-step and call it a day? Or am I being obtuse?
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)