Dec 22, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! says that the Harang-to-the-Dodgers deal still has a bit of life to it, and that the trade could still happen with George Sherrill going to Cincinnati. What use does Cincinnati have for Sherrill? None, really — and they’re even willing to eat $10 million of the $14 million owed Harang for some reason — but the idea would be for the Reds to then flip him elsewhere for prospects.
Which would be a great idea if there weren’t a bunch of closers floating around out there who could be had without giving up prospects, but I guess that’s not important right now. What is important is that the Reds want a prospect of their own to go along with Sherrill, and that’s what’s holding up the deal.
So let me get this straight: the Reds need to trade an expensive starter, but they’re willing to eat almost all of his salary. They’re willing to take on the Dodgers’ expensive reliever, but only so they can flip him for prospects in a market currently suffering from a closer glut. And oh, they want prospects from the Dodgers.
Question: why don’t thy just trade Harang somewhere for prospects themselves, eliminate the George Sherrill two-step and call it a day? Or am I being obtuse?
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 4
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 237
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (237)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)