Dec 22, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! says that the Harang-to-the-Dodgers deal still has a bit of life to it, and that the trade could still happen with George Sherrill going to Cincinnati. What use does Cincinnati have for Sherrill? None, really — and they’re even willing to eat $10 million of the $14 million owed Harang for some reason — but the idea would be for the Reds to then flip him elsewhere for prospects.
Which would be a great idea if there weren’t a bunch of closers floating around out there who could be had without giving up prospects, but I guess that’s not important right now. What is important is that the Reds want a prospect of their own to go along with Sherrill, and that’s what’s holding up the deal.
So let me get this straight: the Reds need to trade an expensive starter, but they’re willing to eat almost all of his salary. They’re willing to take on the Dodgers’ expensive reliever, but only so they can flip him for prospects in a market currently suffering from a closer glut. And oh, they want prospects from the Dodgers.
Question: why don’t thy just trade Harang somewhere for prospects themselves, eliminate the George Sherrill two-step and call it a day? Or am I being obtuse?
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)