Dec 22, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! says that the Harang-to-the-Dodgers deal still has a bit of life to it, and that the trade could still happen with George Sherrill going to Cincinnati. What use does Cincinnati have for Sherrill? None, really — and they’re even willing to eat $10 million of the $14 million owed Harang for some reason — but the idea would be for the Reds to then flip him elsewhere for prospects.
Which would be a great idea if there weren’t a bunch of closers floating around out there who could be had without giving up prospects, but I guess that’s not important right now. What is important is that the Reds want a prospect of their own to go along with Sherrill, and that’s what’s holding up the deal.
So let me get this straight: the Reds need to trade an expensive starter, but they’re willing to eat almost all of his salary. They’re willing to take on the Dodgers’ expensive reliever, but only so they can flip him for prospects in a market currently suffering from a closer glut. And oh, they want prospects from the Dodgers.
Question: why don’t thy just trade Harang somewhere for prospects themselves, eliminate the George Sherrill two-step and call it a day? Or am I being obtuse?
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 10
- Who really owns a home run ball? 59
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)