Dec 22, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! says that the Harang-to-the-Dodgers deal still has a bit of life to it, and that the trade could still happen with George Sherrill going to Cincinnati. What use does Cincinnati have for Sherrill? None, really — and they’re even willing to eat $10 million of the $14 million owed Harang for some reason — but the idea would be for the Reds to then flip him elsewhere for prospects.
Which would be a great idea if there weren’t a bunch of closers floating around out there who could be had without giving up prospects, but I guess that’s not important right now. What is important is that the Reds want a prospect of their own to go along with Sherrill, and that’s what’s holding up the deal.
So let me get this straight: the Reds need to trade an expensive starter, but they’re willing to eat almost all of his salary. They’re willing to take on the Dodgers’ expensive reliever, but only so they can flip him for prospects in a market currently suffering from a closer glut. And oh, they want prospects from the Dodgers.
Question: why don’t thy just trade Harang somewhere for prospects themselves, eliminate the George Sherrill two-step and call it a day? Or am I being obtuse?
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (97)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional